Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about painting my calipers I want to paint it with the exact match paint that I have but its not high temp..can I use a high temp clear coat to cover it and will this work .. I did it with the rear drums but I know that the front calipers get a lot hotter than the rear drums ..thanks for the info guys ..

·
Texas
159 Posts
I may be wrong but that should work. Since the hottest point is the pads and rotors. It might work better if you can mix the two then apply the paint.

I hope someone else says something... i would like to know if im wrong. Since i have thought about the same thing.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
just a thought, but what about apply'n a base coat of High temp paint (grey) and then painting them with your body color. VHT has grey (autozone)

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rockadaous said:
just a thought, but what about apply'n a base coat of High temp paint (grey) and then painting them with your body color. VHT has grey (autozone)

are you saying grey kinda like a primer ??

i might just have to try that then use the clear coat after the blue ..I have been wanting to do this but don't know if it will work and i don't want to paint it an off blue i want to use intese blue .. thanks ..

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
DakotaLivLrg said:

i might just have to try that then use the clear coat after the blue ..I have been wanting to do this but don't know if it will work and i don't want to paint it an off blue i want to use intese blue .. thanks ..
You may want to look into having your calipers powdercoated instead - Terry at 360AirIntakez had his calipers powdercoated blue and it matches his IB Dakota very well, and it will hold up even better than paint will.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds like a good idea who can i contact and how much you think it would be ??

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
DakotaLivLrg said:

it's just grey. not a primer, but painting it blue you don't want red as a base coat. just a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
DakotaLivLrg said:
That sounds like a good idea who can i contact and how much you think it would be ??
If you want to make a trip up to Las Vegas, 360AirIntakez can usually do everything on the fly - bring a book and some munchies, you can watch TV in their waiting area or drool over the cars they have in the back, and they'll take care of everything. You would need to talk to Joe at www.360airintakez.com to get quotes for labor.

If you wanted a cheaper price overall, you could remove your own calipers and take them to a local powdercoating shop (just look in the phone book), but you may not be able to get them back the same day, and you'd be doing your own labor for disassembly/re-assembly.

G

·
I painted my yellow Neon's drums and caliper with regular paint and they held up great for the year we had it. Its all in the prep work. make sure it is clean!!! I started with a wire brush and then rubbing alcohol with a stiff bristle brush.

I guess you could say I said it with Krylon! :biggthump

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.