Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help I think I made a mistake with my head gasket repair.
I took the heads off and had them resurfaced but in doing so I think I moved something o wasnt supposed to because my number one piston doesnt look to be at the very top of the cylinder. Now can I just turn the crank till it's at the top while the head are off or is there some other way I have to do it? I know it will damage the valves if I do it the wrong way. I am also replacing the timing components since I'm already tore down so far because it doesnt look like it has ever been done and the truck has over 200.000 on it.
This is my first time ever doing a major repair like this myself and any and all help would be appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you gentlemen, if I have any other questions I'll let you know.
Help I think I made a mistake with my head gasket repair.
I took the heads off and had them resurfaced but in doing so I think I moved something o wasnt supposed to because my number one piston doesnt look to be at the very top of the cylinder. Now can I just turn the crank till it's at the top while the head are off or is there some other way I have to do it? I know it will damage the valves if I do it the wrong way. I am also replacing the timing components since I'm already tore down so far because it doesnt look like it has ever been done and the truck has over 200.000 on it.
This is my first time ever doing a major repair like this myself and any and all help would be appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok need more help. So as I was hooking my exhaust back up I noticed that I had a short black wire just hanging underneath close to where the heads are with a washer type connector on either end of it and it wasn't hooked up to anything. I didn't see it as I was unhookjng anything during tear down. So I finished putting the vehicle back together. Now I am getting a crank but no start.... the crank sounds like it
S not getting compression. Cause it sounds like its just spinning. Now when I finished doing the timjng chains I rotated the engine by hand four complete revolutions like I was told I should do to make sure the valves and pistons weren't hitting and it felt like there was plenty of compression as I turned the crank. And I never felt like anything contacted anything else.
But now I'm stumped. First off was that black wire another ground wire like the grounding straps on the head and if so where does it go.? And if not what do I need to do to figure out why it's a crank but no start?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I also had a situation when putting the rocker arms back on and lost I valve keeper from the number two valve. And after I seen it fall from the valve I used a magnet to get it from the timing chamber cause it fell and landed on the timing chain guide. After I did that I seen something in the Haynes manual about keeping magnets away from the cam sprocket on the right side with that dampened thing behind it as it could cause a crank but no start. Could that have caused my crank but no start and if so what do I need to do

1 - 7 of 7 Posts