Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have NO IDEA how to tune a carb. I had to purchase this 87 Dakota 4 cyl 5 speed for my father, in a pinch, and its running really rich AND it jumps around (bucking) alot in first and 2nd.

I have been told the carb needs to be tuned.

SO, if you guys could possibly show me some pics of where things are located and what to look for, I would appreciate it.

if it matters, it has about 214k on the body, and about 60k on the motor and trans. (rebuilt)

Thanks alot guys!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am not sure what engine is in that the mitsu 2.0 or dodge 2.5 but i had a 87 d50 with the same problem and those carbs are junk not worth rebuilding i went with a holly replacement with adaptorplate it kinda expensive but worth it. My father (33 yr dodge tech) messed with the stock one rebuilt it and wasnt any better. Unless you can find a good used one go with after market.

·
Registered
13 Posts
should be a carb id sticker under hood to tell you engine size. the biggest problem with them is vacuum leak or internal wear but having a rebuilt engine might be vacuum try with the truck running spray carb cleaner alittle around the lines and see if the truck runs any different

1 - 4 of 4 Posts