Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have a 99 durango 5.2l when the motor is cold the oil pressure is fine but once warmed up the guage reads 0 no oil pressure. hooked up a mechanical guage at the switch next to dist. still reads 0. but the motor makes no noise at all. anyone have this before

·
keep your stick onthe ice
1,058 Posts
It could be a sticky pressure relief valve in the pump. Does pressure come back up if it comes up off idle? Now after saying it may be the pump, my stance on replacing oil pumps is it's almost never the pump that causes low oil pressure and if it was the pump you probably damaged something else while the pressure was low.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no pressure is 0 until the motor is cold. im fairly sure that its the pump due to a slugding issue seems to be very common. how hard is the pump to do in the car 4wd 99 5.2l

·
14 Second Club
430 Posts
Before you tear into it you could give the pour some diesel in the crankcase trick. Or a conventional "engine cleaner" additive. If it is sludged up or sticking you may be able to clean it out.

·
Bippity Boppity Buppity
379 Posts
Bet yer pick-up screen is plugged....drop the oil pan and check
Exactly what I was thinking. Before pulling out the pan I would pour some diesel down the crankcase and clean out the sludge. You might need to do this a few times. Even if it ends up being the pump or the pickup tube by getting most of the sludge out before doing them you're not gunking up the new parts.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
when you say you hooked up a mechanical gauge,do you mean you actually plumbed in a mechanical gauge,or do you mean you hooked up another gauge to the sending unit:huh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts