Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 04 Durango 5.7 AWD on Christmas Eve from the dealer. Noticed the seal where the drive shaft comes into the rear diff is leaking. Wondering if anyone can give me a little instruction on where to start or tips with replacing the seal. Also, If anyone has a PDF of a service manual that would be greatly appretiated. Waiting on one to come from amazon, would love to change the seal today though. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No warranty. Got it for almost nothing from the dealer. It's not terrible but it's leaking for sure, it's been slung all over from the drive shaft but it's not leaking enough to have left any spots on the driveway. Although it's leaking enough to have a good film of oil on the gas tank shield and under body. This will be my tow vehicle so I'd rather be safe than sorry and just replace it. The dealer wants almost 400 to do it, and the part is only about $25 and I'm pretty capable. So I think I'll just change it out. Just wanted any tips and ideas on where to start because I'm not too familiar with the Dodges.

·
don't feed the bears
10,668 Posts
do a search if you already havent i remember seeing something about this.. and wait a day if you cna im sure someone on here can help you out in some way..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I did a search, I even used google, because I know vBulletin's search app suck. Couldn't find anything. Thanks though.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Problem is, the pinion has a crush sleeve that is used to set preload on the bearings. Though I've not done it myself, I suppose it would be ok run the nut off, change the seal and put it back on with loctite, NOT torquing the hell out of it so as not to crush the sleeve more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts