Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2 Chanel amp/front speaker setup Question

Hi all, I need some good, unbiased audio advise.

Background:
I have no real experience in the audio department, but need to replace my front speakers. I got a real good deal on the Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 components on eBay. They will be here on Friday. I still have the factory head unit and speakers. I also have an amped 10" bazooka cs that I will be adding at a later date, but not right now...

Question:
1. Other than the mounting/splicing hardware, do I NEED to upgrade anything else, or should these be plug and play? These were kinda pricey, and I don't want to blow them out or screw anything up.

2. What size amp will get the best performance from these speakers? If I don't need an amp or new head unit right away, then I'll go ahead and replace the speakers. If something needs to be upgraded beforehand, please let me know.

Thanks!!

*edit*
Speaker Specifications:

Anodized aluminum woofer with butyl rubber surround
1" anodized aluminum dome tweeter
2-way crossover (high-pass and low-pass, 3500 Hz at 24 dB per octave)
Surface- and flush-mount adapters included
Frequency response 75-23,000 Hz
Power range 25-100 watts RMS
Peak power handling 400 watts
Sensitivity 90 dB
Top-mount depth 2-5/8"

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
DEMONiAM said:
Hi all, I need some good, unbiased audio advise.

Background:
I have no real experience in the audio department, but need to replace my front speakers. I got a real good deal on the Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 components on eBay. They will be here on Friday. I still have the factory head unit and speakers. I also have an amped 10" bazooka cs that I will be adding at a later date, but not right now...

Question:
1. Other than the mounting/splicing hardware, do I NEED to upgrade anything else, or should these be plug and play? These were kinda pricey, and I don't want to blow them out or screw anything up.

2. What size amp will get the best performance from these speakers? If I don't need an amp or new head unit right away, then I'll go ahead and replace the speakers. If something needs to be upgraded beforehand, please let me know.

Thanks!!
First off.... those are some pretty good speakers. If you install these speakers, you should not sell them short by NOT putting power to them with an amp.

I see that you have a regular cab 3.9L... I am going to ASSUME that you DON'T have the stock Infinity(upgraded) stock system. With that said, you should not worry about having to wire around a stock amp.

If I were you, I would get a 2 channel amp with AT LEAST 100 watts per channel. This amp will put enough power to your speaker THROUGH your crossover that is supplied with the component set.

NOW,... to answer your questions more directly.

1) While these components may seem plug and play,... they kinda aren't. You have to splice in a wire from the deck(could do from exsisting speaker wire) to your crossover and then to your cone speaker and your tweeters(which are BOTH included in the component set). You won't blow your speakers this way,... chances are you won't like the sound as compared to a juiced set(amplified).

2) To be honest with you,.... I'm not sure how well the sound is going to be out of your OEM deck. I would DEFINATELY suggest getting an amp AND an aftermarket CD Deck. Might I suggest Alpine CD Deck,... any alpine deck will do,... as long as it has CDA-xxxx in it's model number. The CDA adds lots of extras including some very useful preouts mounted on the rear of the deck(perfect for amplifire connections). As far as amps go... I personally like JL Audio... but a normal Kenwood, or Alpine, MTX... anything with two channels and 100watts per channel would definately do wonders for your system.

I hope this helps.

Paul

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.