Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the rear exactly were I want it. I ended up using 5" shackle/hanger and a 2" block. Now onto the front end.

Currently I am using a DJM 3" drop spring and drop shocks. I need to go roughly another 1 3/4" - 2" to sit level with the back end.

I was wondering if anyone knows how much one rotation of the spring would lower it?

Should I use the factory spring to cut?

Can you cut anywhere on the spring and just rotate the rubber isolator?

Any answers would be awesome and a huge help! :biggthump

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anything wrong with cutting the factory coils that much? I didn't really want to start cutting into the DJM ones.

· Search and Rescue
152 Posts
blow torch the springs for a 1 to 2 inch drop without even taking then off the truck my neighbor did it on his 2003 dak looks great rides fine.. thought he was nuts but seeing is beleiving... now he is going to hydraulics..ohh god..hahaha :drive:

ps I have some stock springs for 20 bucks plus shipping if ya mess up...lol have fun Joe

· Premium Member
1,087 Posts
jkennedy620 said:
blow torch the springs for a 1 to 2 inch drop without even taking then off the truck my neighbor did it on his 2003 dak looks great rides fine.. thought he was nuts but seeing is beleiving... now he is going to hydraulics..ohh god..hahaha :drive:

ps I have some stock springs for 20 bucks plus shipping if ya mess up...lol have fun Joe
Doing that will compromise the integrity of the coil spring making the metal weaker and prone to breaking. Also, it will screw up the spring rate. It's just not the smart way to lower a vehicle.

· Search and Rescue
152 Posts
ohh I agree with you completely... but its interesting to see what people are doing when modding there trucks!!! infact my friend is still driving around as a daily driver he said something about running nos now too... hahaha he prolly has it blowing into the exhaust pipe..

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well last weekend I ended up finally completing my suspension. :mullet:

Long, miserable story made short... I ended up cutting one revolution off of my DJM springs. rides great and looks killer. Pics coming soon :biggthump

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here are some quick pics I snapped. Better ones to come this weekend.

The special effects are thanks to the weather :biggthump
70* inside and a heat index of 103* outside :rant:

One more...

· Loku
15 Posts
Diabloed said:
well last weekend I ended up finally completing my suspension. :mullet:

Long, miserable story made short... I ended up cutting one revolution off of my DJM springs. rides great and looks killer. Pics coming soon :biggthump

Good Job! Looks great! I've contacted spring manufacturers in the past about cutting springs and how much. Doing so doesn't hurt the spring, it just changes the spring rate (higher) making your ride stiffer. Since most drop coils have closed ends (end of coil is bent back to nearly touch previous coil) cutting the first revolution doesn't change the ride much, just affects how it sits in your control arm or frame. I've been told by manufacturers (Hotchkis e.g.) that cutting up to 1-1/2 revolutions is acceptable.

From my experience, drop coils are usually so stiff that under the nominal load (weight) of your truck they don't flex much when just sitting there. So if you cut 2" of spring height, it will lower your truck about 2".

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what I can tell you is that 1 3/4 turn on the factory spring is to much.. and for me 1 turn on the DJM springs was roughly 2"

I didn't notice any degredation in ride for 1 turn cut of the lowering springs.

· C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
670 Posts
Perhaps the rules have changed in 15 years.

• Haha
Reactions: TLAC
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.