Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
need help asap (EDIT: problem resolved, thanks!)

hey guys my truck is up on stands now and im replacing my pads and rotors...how on earth do the calipers come off? I read that one guy's site that says use a c clamp to push the piston back but i can't even fit the head of my c clamp in that small hole to push it back. And does the clip on the front come out easy after the piston goes in? Any info immediately requested. I already am looking at http://www.geocities.com/dak2nv/main.html

but need something a bit more detailed. thanks!

·
July Truck of the Month
8,227 Posts
Are you talking about those 2 little pins? When I was lowering my truck we just pulled them suckers out with pliers, and beat off the calipers with a small sledge. Just hit it a few times and have someone hold it cuz it's heavy.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh nah lol i was talking about the weird shaped clip that sits on the front of the caliper (facing out). But it's cool...i managed to get the piston pushed back by letting out brake fluid/pressing at the same time (lol i kno i kno) but now the problem is putting back the caliper clip/pin thing. I just cut off the little retainers that held the rotor in place with a good wire clipper after prying it a bit. So...what's the best way to get that stupid clip back on? LOL :help:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone...haha i actually managed to pop the clip in, just like you guys said. After some cursing and then more cursing i finally got one side done. Had to call it a day since I need a break plus it was getting dark outside. Tested it out (20 mph, stop x5) and well i'm already impressed...can only get better with the right side done too! Oh yeah I got the ssbc kit.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
its the same for a dak as it is on a ram, front brakes are easy. i get both of mine done in about 30-45 minutes. get a big c-clamp, place it over the caliper so the clamp is resting ont he back side of the calipe, and the part you crank in is on the face of the outside pad, push it in slowly, so it goes in nice and even, once that is done, these are two bolts that hold the caliper on the braket, loosen them up and pull them out, laying them to the side, caliper shold plop right off, swap the pads out (get some disc brake quiet too), spray the backside of the pads with a nice thin coat of the stuff, alow it to get taky, reverse proceedure to finish off the job. no need to loosed the bleeder for anything. hope this helps ya for the next time you do them.

also when braking them in, drive around the area for about 10-15 minutes using light braking, this properly seats the pads to the rotors, and helps to prolong pad life. after theay are warmed up, allow your truck to sit for a while so they cool, after that is done your finished. keep from over eccessive braking for about 20-40 miles or so. really helps when the calipers and esspecially the rotors are new. keeps the rotors from warping too soon too.

jim

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, talk about learning from the past. yesterday it took me an hour plus to figure out the driver's side. Today I did the passenger side in less than half an hour...good times good times. I did the break in procedure as noted so hopefully these pads and rotors will go the distance for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts