Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found 3 4.7 engine to replace the one I have now. The one I have is 99 4.7 with the 16 toothtone wheel out of a wj. The first engine I found is a reman that has the 16 toothtone wheel for 1800 plus 175 shiping. The second engine is from the local salvage yard and is out of a 04 dakota with 50,000 miles for 1200. But has the 32 tooth tonewheel. The last one is out of a 04 dakota with 4,000 miles that is for 1100 plus 160 shipping and has the 32 toothtone wheel. The first engine comes with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. The second one comes with a 6 month warranty. The third one comes with 6 month warranty.

Which engine would you buy as they all have they pros and cons. The ones from the salvage yards I do not know what has happened to them or if they have even been taken care of. The reman would be the easiest swap direct fit and would be basically brand new. But is going to be about 600 dollars more expensive then the other two by the time I swap the tonewheel and parts required with that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
what the hell is a "toothtone wheel?"

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Tone wheels, reluctor rings etc etc. There is one on the passender side cam and one on the crank. The PCM uses these wheels with a magnetic sensor to read the position of the cam and crank.

If you're on a tight budget and can swap the rings yourself (it's involved), go with one of the newer engines.

Otherwise, I think it's a no-brainer to get the reman that'll drop right in. Longer warranty too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts