Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I disassembled my dashboard to replace my heater core and figure out why the vent selector doesn't work. Well I found the culprit which appears to be the "AC mode door". This is the main flapper / blend door in front of the the heater box. The dealer discontinued the part and my local junkyard doesn't have the heater box available and I'd rather not spend another 3 hours disassembling another Durango in a random junkyard while its 10 degrees out. What are my options here? Does anyone have an extra flapper door or know a vendor where I can locate one?

Apparently mine broke at the top where the metal lever attaches to the rod.

Any advice or input would be appreciated. Thanks

#12 & #14 ARE BROKEN:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, what dealer or online parts vendor would you recommend to locate this part? Is there a recommended/preferred dealer that will actually try to locate the part? BTW, I went to 3 online part catalogs thinking I could just order it online and when I click for part #12 it says - No part found. I assumed this means its discontinued.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok the part # for the door is 55055987-AA and the lever is 3847858

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my durango is down until I fix this problem

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
Are these the parts you need?? God I hope so .... they were a BITCH to pull. Looks like your door is metal, is it? Mine is plastic though they look to be made the same. Let me know if you want this one .... $25 shipped

-Shannon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are these the parts you need?? God I hope so .... they were a BITCH to pull. Looks like your door is metal, is it? Mine is plastic though they look to be made the same. Let me know if you want this one .... $25 shipped

-Shannon
Wow that was fast! I thought you wouldnt have it removed for a day or two more.

Mine is plastic and a little different then yours. However, I dont know if my truck has the proper part installed anyway. I will take it and combine the parts from both to make a functioning door blend.

My truck is a 99 Durango 4x4 w/5.2L

Thank you so much!! PM me your paypal info.

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
Well, supposed to rain/sleet tonight and tomorrow. So I ran a dropcord out to the truck (which is sitting in 8 inches of snow, and it's 30 degrees outside) hooked up a clamp on light and went to work. At first I pulled the wrong flapper (the one on the passengers side in front of the fan) then I came back in and looked at your diagram and realized I pulled the wrong one. So I went back out in the elements and found what you needed.

PM on the way ....

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
So, I disassembled my dashboard to replace my heater core and figure out why the vent selector doesn't work. Well I found the culprit which appears to be the "AC mode door". This is the main flapper / blend door in front of the the heater box. The dealer discontinued the part and my local junkyard doesn't have the heater box available and I'd rather not spend another 3 hours disassembling another Durango in a random junkyard while its 10 degrees out. What are my options here? Does anyone have an extra flapper door or know a vendor where I can locate one?

Apparently mine broke at the top where the metal lever attaches to the rod.

Any advice or input would be appreciated. Thanks

#12 & #14 ARE BROKEN:
was your selector knob for the vent really hard to twist ?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
no, not at all. It would only blow out of the defroster vents no matter what setting it was on.

You did check the vacuum circuit didn't you? 99.9% of the times lack of vacuum is what causes the system to default to the defrost position. I believe the door that you are attempting to replace only controls the mix of hot and cold air(temp blend door)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You did check the vacuum circuit didn't you? 99.9% of the times lack of vacuum is what causes the system to default to the defrost position. I believe the door that you are attempting to replace only controls the mix of hot and cold air(temp blend door)

Yes I did check the vac circuit and it appeared to be connected. Before I close everything up, I will hook up my mityvac venturi brake bleeder up to the individual vac circuits and verify that the vent selectors work. (hopefully that will work)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, supposed to rain/sleet tonight and tomorrow. So I ran a dropcord out to the truck (which is sitting in 8 inches of snow, and it's 30 degrees outside) hooked up a clamp on light and went to work. At first I pulled the wrong flapper (the one on the passengers side in front of the fan) then I came back in and looked at your diagram and realized I pulled the wrong one. So I went back out in the elements and found what you needed.

PM on the way ....
New door blend installed, used door mode (from you), new heater core and evaporator installed. I cleaned out the entire heater box and have installed it and the dashboard. I'm currently hooking up all the electrical connections. Thanks guys

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
Man that looks like a BITCH of a project! As much trouble as it was just to pull the flapper, I'd hate to be doing all you're doing. Good luck with it ..... hope everything works right when you get it back together.

-Shannon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks good, now all you gotta do is figure out why it stays is the defrost mode and you'll be all set.

BTW I did locate one of the doors at a dealership in WA, they want a small fortune for it though.
I did figure it out. The vac line rubber coupler at the firewall was one size too large so I installed a proper size rubber hose to connect the 2 hard lines and everything works great.

Thanks for your help locating that part. I'm sure they wanted like $200+ for the part.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts