Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for info to get a little more height on my 2wd 02 Quad Cab Dakota and it seems like the easiest route would be the Fabtech 2" lift.
Also, does the 4x4 Dakota sit higher than the 2wd? To me it looks like it???
Thats about the look that I am going for.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
1 Ton Dakota
878 Posts
ffman said:
I've been searching for info to get a little more height on my 2wd 02 Quad Cab Dakota and it seems like the easiest route would be the Fabtech 2" lift.
Also, does the 4x4 Dakota sit higher than the 2wd? To me it looks like it???
Thats about the look that I am going for.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
the best way to get more height are with a 3 body lift and the 3 fabtech lift. The 4x4 daks site about 3 inches higher then a 2wd

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,759 Posts
I agree - PA makes the 3" body lift w/gap guards - can be purchased almost anywhere. Fabtech is a decent system - good luck!

Not to mention the addt'l height you will acheive w/taller tires...

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
Hey, your in the same situation as I am. I've got a 2wd 1998 3.9 V6. I think It sits way too low and would like to lift it. I believe if you have the money you should go with the fabtech 3" suspension lift or the Doetsch shocks 3" lift. They are both good companies. I believe the the frame of the 4wd dakotas is 2" higher without the assistance of the larger tires. I believe if I do a lift its going to be the 2" fabtech basic lift. It has the two new coil springs that lift the front 2". That will level the front with the back. Then if you so choose you can pick up some "add a leafs" from doetsch. They will lift the back about 1.5". This will all cost you about 400 dollars...if that. If you go the 3" suspension, 3" body you're looking at spending well over a thousand dollars. I have a thread labeled "need some lift" for more reference. Good Luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply.
I think I've decided to go with the new springs to level the truck out.
I may eventually do a lift but I just spent $600 on some new tires and I think 3" of lift might be a little too much for 30" tires.
Any thoughts on how hard the installation of the new springs would be?

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
I can tell you what I know.... The 2" kit is pretty easily installed with a little help. I have a friend who has access to a garage so I'm not worried, but you will have to remove a decent amount of axle components to get to the stock coil springs then you may be able to loosen the mechanism that holds them (I can't think of the the names of the parts) and just take them out no problem. The new springs however will require a spring coil compressor. A mechanic would probably charge maybe 100 dollars? If you've got access to a coil compressor do it yourself otherwise your local mechanic probably isn't a stranger to springs and shocks. The shocks can probably be done yourself. I know the rear shocks are quite simple. Hope that helps and good luck with the lift. Oh and 4wheelonline.com is the website to order from. And may I ask the exact size of those tires and if you're still using stock rims. I'm looking into getting bigger tires in the next couple of months and thirty inches sounds like a good size.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are 265/70/16 Michelin Cross Terrains on stock rims.
I thought the dakota sports came with 15" wheels stock so I'm not sure if the previous owner swapped wheels or not. With the bigger tire they look great.
By the way, I love these tires! The ride along with road noise is outstanding.
I was going with the 275/70/16 but the fronts rubbed a bit. I'd recommend that size with any small lift and I'd swap mine out for the 275's if I could.

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,759 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts