Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
R/T to the GT!
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nothing wrong with my truck, but last week my brother's truck got backed into(it's in the shop now) and yesterday, my mom got rear-ended and pushed into another car, in her brand new CRV. insurance company says it's probably totaled, and it's so new that she hasnt even made a payment on it yet.

Dont worry, no one was hurt in either accident.

but it sucks getting a brand new car totaled, even if it isnt your fault.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
nothing wrong with my truck, but last week my brother's truck got backed into(it's in the shop now) and yesterday, my mom got rear-ended and pushed into another car, in her brand new CRV. insurance company says it's probably totaled, and it's so new that she hasnt even made a payment on it yet.

Do you not get enough back to buy a new car again, outright? Hell, it might be cheaper to buy that CRV back for cheap and fix it up yourselves. You might make a buck.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It's called GAP insurance.

Nowadays, you can either add it on from the dealership, or actually roll it into your premium on your own insurance.

My wife's brand new civic was rear-ended with light bumper/exhaust damage, so I know what your family is going through.

It's a long process, but just remember, the accident wasn't your fault. Stick to your words and make sure the insurance company doesn't take you for a ride.

You can always contact the attorney general's office and your state's Insurance Commissioner if you feel like you're being given the run around.

Keep us updated with the process and stay safe!

·
R/T to the GT!
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, see, the thing with gap insurance, is it only pays the difference between the insurance payout and blue book value, you dont end up with extra cash to use as a down payment, unless you had large enough a down payment that you owe less than what the car is worth, in which case gap wouldnt do anything to begin with.

If they total it out, she wont have to pay anything, but she wont get any money either. At least, that's our understanding of the deal. Which is a shame, becuase from looking at the car(sorry, no pictures!) it should be totaled.

The best thing though, would be if they gave her a new one.

·
Banned
7,509 Posts

So why did you park your truck?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts