Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site. I've owned my 03 dakota for 2 years, and have been adding mods little by little as money allows (since we're all practically made of the stuff these days).
I'm posting because my engine siezed...yes I was bad about getting oil changed, and it looked pretty black when I checked it out after the fact. If I break down my motor, do I stand a chance at getting it fixed cheaper than if I replaced it altogether? I'm thinking bearings, valves, or (worst case) a cocked piston/cylinder. Please help!

·
ಠ_ಠ ლ(ಠ益ಠ&#
1,562 Posts
If you are considering a swap maybe you could look at the 5.7's
It will cost a bit more but if you have the oportunity to get something better why not jump on it.

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
What he said^

Also, check your local boneyards....I know that one of my local ones will sell you the whole engine for like $250-300

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
not sure on your motor but you can find a good running 3.9l at any junkyard almost dirt cheap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The story

I have a 4.7 V8, VIN "N". Like I mentioned before, oil was extremely low. At freeway speed, I noticed my oil pressure bottomed out, about 5 seconds after my engine shut off. I heard some squealing as I gave it a little gas. After that my engine wouldn't turn over. I mentioned the engine spec because I know that the 4.7 is really expensive, even the long block is over 2000. I really want the experience of tearing down my engine, but do I even have a chance at fixing the problem?

·
H.R.C #18
2,035 Posts
no offense bro but if you neglect your oil like that then id really say dont even bother rebuilding an engine as it sounds like you may just coople job it together & get it done & cause more problems down the road...now i may be wrong but if you dont worry about changing the oil i can just picture you having extra parts at the end of the rebuild & saying ah i dont need oil,i dont need these thingyma bobs either..good luck either way.& also if you go to a junk yard nowadays make sure the engine isnt from a cash 4 clunkers vehicle

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Understood, however, assuming that I'm not going to half-ass the job (which I'm not), what am I likely to find when I tear it down? I know it's easier to just replace the whole engine, but I'm also looking for a learning experience.

·
a drunken dakotaholic
955 Posts
i picked up a complete used motor for $450, they originally wanted $650 for it but i talked them down after inspecting the intake manifold for oil leakage through the belly pan gasket. You could get a mobile mechanic to swap out motors for $550+ or tow it to a shop for $750+

·
ಠ_ಠ ლ(ಠ益ಠ&#
1,562 Posts
5.7 5.7 5.7

I still stand by this. I want my engine to grenade (even though it never will) so I can swap it.

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
Start doing regular maintenance, and you won't have these problems. You cost yourself a lot of money by being lazy. There is no excuse for that.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm not experienced in this at all, but I say you would be walking into a nightmare trying to fix it. If it lost all oil pressure I'd imagin most of the bearing surfaces are junked, just whatever ceased was the first to go totally over the edge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
again, thank you guys for your help, but i am going to take apart my engine. it already doesn't run, i can't mess it up anymore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts