Dakota Durango Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
my nv231 just shit the bed on me. like really bad not only did it break the tail shaft housing i have stress marks and seepage in the transer case housing. i was going to just get a 231 but after reading this im thinking a 242 is were its at. now normally i build lowered cars FWD or 2wd. anything ineed to look out for when doing this swap i know spline counts but what about gear ratios, sry im new to the 4x4 builds. i would love this option of 2wd while towing but having 4wd full time for winter dirving in Michigan. any help before i purchase a T case would be greatly appericated. i have a 99 dakota with lever shifter and a nv231d with 272 ratio and and ID of 52105316. was this what you had?

·
Registered
375 Posts
my nv231 just shit the bed on me. like really bad not only did it break the tail shaft housing i have stress marks and seepage in the transer case housing. i was going to just get a 231 but after reading this im thinking a 242 is were its at. now normally i build lowered cars FWD or 2wd. anything ineed to look out for when doing this swap i know spline counts but what about gear ratios, sry im new to the 4x4 builds. i would love this option of 2wd while towing but having 4wd full time for winter dirving in Michigan. any help before i purchase a T case would be greatly appericated. i have a 99 dakota with lever shifter and a nv231d with 272 ratio and and ID of 52105316. was this what you had?
You can count the splines on your case to be sure, but provided you get one out of a Durango (98 or 99) with the same transmission, it should be fine. I don't know if they'll be compatible between transmissions. On a 4x4 the front and rear axles ratios need to match, but the low range ratio doesn't matter. They should all me 2.72:1 any way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
electrical connector

what exactly does that electrical connect do on the t case. is that just for the light on the dash or does it help control what 4wd/2wd selection is made. sry for the newbie questions. just havent ever delt with a tcase before. i was just gonna put a 231 back in but this is something i want to do. and im not a newbie to automotive. ive built a full air suspension for one car and rebuilt another car engine trans whatever lets go. but the tcase is something i want to learn and this forum seems to have knowledgeable people on it. and thank you for fast reply

·
Registered
5 Posts
swap

could i just swap my 2 wire into the 242 case and run with it. my light doesnt work on my dash anyway.....maybe for future if i take the cluster out?

·
Registered
375 Posts
The switch would probably be on the case when you'd get it. For the Durangos at least, both the connector for the 242 and the 231 are there, the one that isn't used is just tied up out of the way.

As far as the v6, I'm guessing you have a 42re then. I don't know the spline counts, so you'll want to check those.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I apologize now I know this is an older post. But I have a 2000 with a 231. It was never equipped with position indicators. So would hooking up the indicator lamp even matter on my end if I do this swap. Thanks in advance.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts