Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two weeks ago the biggest and greatest thing i have done myself was changing a radiator. Last weekend I fixed the plenum gasket and installed a new pan. This weekend I swapped my NV231 part time transfer case for an NV242 D full time transfer case.

I wanted to have the 4wd full time badly since a while ago but haven’t found a Tcase that had the 2wd option as well, most of them have only 4wd pt, 4wd ft, 4lo and no 2wd. However moparkid88 was parting out his Durango and had this nv242 with 4wd ft AND 2wd so I went ahead and bought if from him, great guy to deal with, highly recommended.

For me, the most important things during this swap were
1. Everyone told me that this was a few hours work. It took me three complete days to do the process. Part of it is because I am very inexperienced and part of it was because I had to take apart the case to fix a leak between the two halves.
2. My Haynes stated that the transmission needed to be lowered a bit (taking out the rear support) to uninstall the Tcase. I didn’t require to lower the transmission, it was just matter of removing the two shafts and the bolts that hold the case to the trans
3. YOU NEED, let me stress this, YOU NEED, a good set of lock ring pliers if you are going to take away the case. I first bought a cheapo autozone snap ring pliers and spend about two hours trying to replace a lock ring. After getting the right pliers it took me only 20 seconds to install it
4. The manuals state that you need a transmission jack to lower and reinstall the case. I didn’t needed it, jus did it bare hand. The NV242 is a bit heavier than the 231, about 90-100 pounds. Can be done without a jack but you need strong arms/chest to lower it and put it back in place.
5. One of the top nuts that holds the Tcase to the transmission is big pain to remove, I realized that it can be removed from inside the cabin by removing the 4wd shifter. Try this instead of spending lots of frustrating time trying to remove it from the outside

About the swap,

Here is my “new old” 242

First I removed the skid plate. Here is the skid plate removed and 231 installed,

Then drained the transfer case fluid.

After that I checked if I was going to be able to remove the nuts that hold the case to the trans. There are a total of 6 nuts, 5 of them are easy to access and remove and one gave me the hardest time. The picture shows the two bottom nuts, one of the side nuts and the one that is a pain, the top passenger side nut (where the ratchet is attached)

After trial and error, I was able to remove the nut from hell with a combination of a ½ ratchet, a ½ to 3/8 adapter a 3/8 socket swivel and a 3/8 14mm socket. I took me a lot of time and effort to remove this nut, and later in the process I found out that this was the easiest nut to remove if you tried to do it from inside the cabin (picture coming later)

Here is an example of the swivel adapter,

The top bolt on the drivers side comes out easily if you first remove the shifter linkage out of the way,

Having loosened the nuts I removed the front and rear shafts

Front

Rear

The rear shaft only disconnects on the rear differential and slides out of the Tcase, expect to drip a bit of Tcase fluid, even if the case was already drained.

Then I disconnected the vent hose and switch position connector on the Tcase, completed loosening the nuts that held it to the Trans and slide it out by hand.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is my old 231 removed from the truck

Here is a picture of the rear transmission shaft without the Tcase installed

After that I removed the old shifter and replaced it with the one of the NV242 (it has one additional position for the 4PT)

Old shifter installed

New (right) and old (left) shifter

Since moparkid88 told me that the Tcase he sold me was leaking, I proceeded to take it apart to redo de gasket between the two halves

NV242 without the rear half

Rear half cleaned and ready to have RTV on and re-install

Rear half installed

Rear retainer installed

Extension housing installed and a side by side comparison of the 242 (left) and 231 (right) 242 is bigger and heavier

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When I placed the two transfer cases together I noticed that the connector for the indicator switch was different in both Tcases

231 connector

242 connector

At this point in time I just wanted to finish the installation and didn’t have the right plug for the connector so, I just soldered 4 wires on the 242 connector in order to install it and deal with the indicator lamp later in the process

After this I proceeded to get under the truck lift the 242 Tcase and install it again, tightened the nuts that hold it to the transmission, connected the vent hose, pulled my soldered wires to the inside of the cabin, connected the shifter linkage and re-atached both driveshafts

Here is the Tcase installed

When I was going to start working on the electrical connectors I realized that both of the top nuts that hold the Tcase to the transmission are easily accessible from the shifter opening inside the cabin. If I had known this before I would have removed them from inside the cabin and it would have been much more easier

Having the case nicely installed I proceeded to work on the electrical connectors.

The NV242 connector has four pins that are labeled A, B, C and D on the bottom of the connector itself. After some tests I found out that when the TCase is in 4wd part time it connects wires A and D, when it is in 4wd full time it connects wires A and B.

On the truck side, the harness that connects to the Tcase is just a short jumper with two wires which ends in another connector that is on top of the transmission, here is the jumper pictured:

And this is the connector that goes on top of the transmission

Testing with a voltmeter on this last connector I found out that the top pin is 12VDC constant, when you connect this top pin to the bottom right pin the 4wd part time light turns on on the dash. I was expecting that connecting the top pin to the bottom left would illuminate the 4wd full time but sadly it didn’t. I guess that if you didn’t have the 4wd full time option from the factory, dodge did not provide the truck with the ability to illuminate this light.

So, with this figured out I proceeded to splice the jumper wire so that, at the end the A pin in the transfer case got connected to the 12VDC top pin on the transmission connector and the D pin on the transfer case got connected to the bottom left pin on the transmission connector.

Here are the wires spliced, re-soldered and joined with heat shrink

And finally all the wires connected, fixed and protected with wireloom

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After this it was just matter of placing the cover for the shifter opening. By the way, the cover that moparkid88 had on his Durango (left) was different than the one I have on my Dakota (right)

AND FINALLY, 4WD FULL TIME !!!!

2,997 Posts
Nice!

I thought that rubbermaid container would of been good. Guess not... Damn ups people are abusive with stuff. And ya the case was 90 pounds even when I weighed it. You could of just taken the knob off the shifter and swapped them but either way it works. Now go to a pit and try it out!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice!

I thought that rubbermaid container would of been good. Guess not... Damn ups people are abusive with stuff. And ya the case was 90 pounds even when I weighed it. You could of just taken the knob off the shifter and swapped them but either way it works. Now go to a pit and try it out!!
never mind, i think that it got in one piece but i was the one that broke it when loading it into my truck.

the damn thing is heavy, i am glad it made it in one piece all the way to TX, if you hadn't removed the front studs and tailshaft housing I am sure something would have been broken during transport.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice man ill be doing this over the winter. Im trying to find a t-case but I cant seem to find a wrecked rango to get the shifter out of too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nice Write-Up!! Thanks for taking the time and pics! Especially for letting us know how to access that top bolt on the T-Case!! All I've ever heard is that bolt is a bitch to get to, no-one ever mentioned that you can get to in from inside the cabin. Thx !

·
Registered
614 Posts
nice write-up, rep+

·
Registered
368 Posts
Very nice swap indeed!

I always thought Durango R/Ts should have come with this case. Nice swap.
I concur! At times I'd prefer the 2wd option just to have some fun moments. AWD saps any of that enjoyment...however, Full time transfer case in Ontario is a must have when I travel even farther north in the winter months.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey, thanks for the write up. I think I will tackle this job myself now.

My 231 is leaking all over the place. Can't tell if it is overheating out the vent tube or if the seal is split at the top. Whatever it is, I want to replace it and realized from posts like this I could put in a 242.

Was there nothing else you had to do to the front or rear axle? I read some people had to swap the splines for the front. How can I tell if I need a 27 spline or 32 spline? And is the 32 spline the HD model? And then once the spline issue is solved, I have to get one marked to my rear axle ratio of 3.94?

Thanks, looks like a great site on here, happy to join!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, I bought the NV242 from a 98 Durango. They had already sent it to the crusher and now I am having a terrible time just trying to find the NV242 specific manual selector assembly. I have probably talked to 50 junk yards and can't find one. I guess I will go ahead with the install and just leave it in 2WD for now.

If anyone has a manual lever selector for an NV242, please let me know! 98-99 preferred, 2000 might be ok.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,364 Posts
Keep in mind this post is from over a year ago and I'm not sure if the OP even browses the forum anymore. How many people do you think have had a chance to read your post from today? Your asking for what seems to be a rare part to find. If a person does not have the part what do you expect them to respond? If your going to be a dick then please go enjoy your Toyota forum.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts