Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its a 95 blue dakota sport. i debadged and removed the decals so far. in process of putting a suede headliner and door panels. need to redo headliner didn't put enough glue on and one of the doors didn't have enough fabric. just tucked them. gas guage don't work neither does pass side window. think it has electric locks but they don't work. has some pain issues too. got it for 2500 but back registration raped me.

plan on putting buckets in. want bolt in. can do any cutom work at my apt. if anyone knows what years bolt in i'd be much abliged. dealship didn't know squat. planing on finding a junkyard air box with 2 snorkles and v8 throttlebody too. need a radio update too. don't have many cassettes lol. post some pics when it stops raining. lemme know what are the mods to do with the gen 1s.

·
c_lynch_102
121 Posts
Welcome, your best bet for buckets would be to find another pre-96 dakota. As for mods theres not a lot made for these trucks euro corners are popular and easy, and there is one set of taillights but majority vote is that theyre ugly. There are also a few hoods and a front valance that you can find in the parts info portion of the site. And just as an fyi most people on here consider the 92-96 as second gen, as the first gens are considered the pre-magnum engines and a different front end.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
depends on who you talk to; whether there is a "gen split" at 87-90 vs 91-96 has always been debated.
Everyone has a different take but since suspension frames cab and bed all directly interchange as does the interior 87-96, I follow the idea that 87-96 is all 1 gen. You can interchange front end sheet metal on all years 87-96 though yeah IIRC you do have to do the whole front clip between the year split where some people draw a gen line, but they do all directly swap over between all years we are talking.
Yeah they went to a 6 lug but the diff housing is the same, the spindles are the same easy enough to swap axle shafts or rotors as desired.
I have had a 90, a 93, and a 94 and there is more sameness among them than differences. (still have the 93, it is my 1st clubcab anything)

Similarly, among full sized Dodges why they call 88-91 "1st gen" when parked next to each other besides the grille there is no difference in body back to '81 and frames suspensions etc all the way back to '72 there is no reason to split them up either... usually there is a big change between "gens" of a model of vehicle/ there w s grille change between 90 and 91 on the full sized trucks yet they are considered "same gen"
you park an 86 or 87 nest to an 88-89 or 90 you cant tell the difference just by appearance alone which is which;
Then again according to LMC Truck though, GM, Ford and even international harvester have been building trucks since 1947; yet they offer NOTHING for any Dodge truck prior to 1994 which suggests that Dodge built their 1st ever truck that year.
Personally, I MUCH MUCH prefer the Dodge trucks made prior to then, have had many... yet have worked on all years of all makes having been a professional mechanic for 18 years.... yet nobody recognizes them.. anyone even remember what a "Power Wagon" is? or a Ramcharger? My son owns one of each.. how can that be, if they never existed?
go ahead and argue where to split the gens of the Dakotas.... at least it is recognized that they at least existed for all of those years....
I will continue to go by the school of thought that 87-96 all fall under "1st Gen" Dakota

·
Registered
69 Posts
I totally agree with you on that. When there is a total body change like between the 1996 and 1997 Dakota, that is what I consider a different gen. of the model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts