Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have seen this already... sorry!!!

So, last summer I had ordered up some Otto Racing gauges, and along with some friend's help... I screwed them up pretty dang well. Well, since that day, I had always wanted to get back into my dash and to fix up the mistakes that I had made.

So, it is my spring break this week... and I finally hit up 2 projects that I wanted to do. Anyone who has seen the inside of my truck knows about my love for the tribal designs... and I want to one day customize the rest of my baby for it.

Well, I decided to tackle the bezel because I had finally gotten all the materials I had needed... and I had alot of spare time today. I picked up some fusion spray paint.. and I went to town...

This is the gauge cluster, after everything is removed... there is some interesting engineering that I won't even want to think about...

This is my attempt at getting the turn signals and the hi-beam indicator to become blue. I didn't want to bother with getting different bulbs or anything.. and my idea worked... I had taken just a simple plastic cover that was tinted blue.. and just layered it up...

I took the original bezel, and I painted it Navy blue, the closest I could come to my Patriot Blue Dak...

Halfway there...

I did that just to spruce up some things... but a local customizing shop gave me some free white vinyl that I used to spruce it up even more. Hence, the tribal designs...

After I went to town.. right before I applied them...

And the finished product before install...

And then finally installed...

I love it... once again.. I'm a cheap ass... but I like giving my truck the loving touch.

Eh.. hope you guys enjoy the pictures!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
:biggthump It looks VERY nice Rage :clap2: It really gives the interiror a nice touch. What guages are those? I really like them!

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
very nice :biggthump

did you use a primer? or did you just go at it with the paint, also did you clear coat it after you put the decals on.

I might try something like this later on.

·
Subscribed Member
265 Posts
Rage, did your attempt to convert the turn signals to blue work? If it did, where did you get the plastic

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Looks very good.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
How fast are you going when you took the pic. Your tach is well past the red line and your speedo is buried. YOu must have been hauling some serious ass! :biggthump

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Replys!!

Thanks alot for all the compliments guys... and here, I shall try to answer all of ya!!!

TopDawgN8 said:
:biggthump It looks VERY nice Rage It really gives the interiror a nice touch. What guages are those? I really like them!
Here Top... they are the Pro Car Part reverse gauges... The ONLY dang thing I really didn't like about them, is how they do not come with colors for the turn signals and the high beams... you get a plain light bulb shining through... (until I fixed mine :) )

Adam said:
did you use a primer? or did you just go at it with the paint, also did you clear coat it after you put the decals on.

I might try something like this later on.
No, in fact I did not use any primer... I did not have to sand it... and I did NOT put on a clear coat. I was using Krylon Plastic Fusion I used to be a paint department manager for Sears Hardware.. and I fell in love with this product... and honestly.. I think it works wonders. I did not put a clear coat on it... and the only reason for that is because the bezel is in an area where its not going to be touched over and over..

SinCity R/T said:
I like the way it looks - it's extremely unique. :biggthump
Sin- As I showed you before... I'm partial to tribal designs... and thank you, it means alot coming from someone with such a kickass website, and 2 very awesome looking trucks...

03Stampededak said:
Rage, did your attempt to convert the turn signals to blue work? If it did, where did you get the plastic
Ah ha... believe it or not... in this picture here...

you can see the blue...

I walked my lazy behind over to Staples (a trusted name in office supplies ;) ) and picked up a semi-transparent blue folder. I cut out the small section that is located on the gauge cluster after I removed the gauge faces, and I layered the blue up... at first, 1 layer was way too light... 4 was way too dark. My final was 2 layers, with a bit of the fusion paint I used sprayed on... it looks sweet.. I took a video of it...

Heres that video :)

MiniMotoRider said:
Looks very good.

GOON'S D said:
How fast are you going when you took the pic. Your tach is well past the red line and your speedo is buried. YOu must have been hauling some serious ass! :biggthump
Ummm.. if you look, I was in 1st gear ;)... nah, its a diagnostic that our panels do... before you turn the key... push down and hold the odometer tab and turn the key to the on position.. it will do a quick check of everything..

*sigh* Other than that... thanks guys.. I really do appreciate the compliments... today was going out there and fixing the needles.. it turns out my tach was off by about 400 rpms.. along with my speedo was off by 5 mph.. I was doing that in this fridgid Michigan weather...
:banana2:

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
Man looks sweet as hell .....good job on the fabracation man... :mullet: :mullet:

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
man that looks sweet also.. and seeing all these vechiles with such little miles makes me want to get a new one ...

·
Stupid-stamped for life
692 Posts
i put the otto gauges on a couple of weeks ago without a hitch. i also painted my bezel and dash silver to match my truck, but i used an assload of clear coat to give it some depth and durability.........only problem is now when i press the brake my gauges, taillights AND front corners light up.....oh well, shit happens i guess

·
Pearls Before Swine
967 Posts
Rage, who the hell wants blue in their truck, God thats such a ricer mod!!

:joke:

Like I said on some for other board, get them needles blue and that'll kick!!

·
Juice Junky
2,086 Posts
DurangoDudeNJ, where did you get the R/T logo on your tach?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts