Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I started the Durango, it started BEFORE the key was all the way to the IGN part of the ignition switch. Suspicious, I turned off the car to try again and when I turned it OFF, the engine stopped, but something (louder than just the fan) was running still. I opened the hood and the belt was running, but the engine was not running. I started the car again, this time the results were the same. OK...I thought of yanking the battery cable, but then it stopped after I turned the key ON and OFF a couple times. I waited a minute and then it worked ok after that for several stop and starts the rest of the day.

Any others experience this ever?
Any chance there is a code stored for this anomoly??

I just changed the serpentine belt (plus the tensioner yesterday).

Thanks for any help. I just got my '99 SLT with the 5.2L about 6 weeks ago.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
That's definitely odd, almost impossible.

I can't think of a single way your belt could have been moving if the engine was not...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re

OK-OK

I understand that you all might think I am a bit crazy.... :sorry:

BUT

When I popped the hood to look, the belt was running, but when I stepped on the gas, the engine did not increase RPM's. So it was like it was kind of on, but not getting fuel.

I guess I would have to have the problem duplicate itself to know for sure.

Something else odd happened too later that day that I did not mention.
The right turn signal flashed fast, like the bulb was out - or the flasher was bad. Not sure what it does in this car when one of these situations occurs.
But then I turned the turn signal off, then on again and it was normal.

Maybe I have an electrical gremlin lurking....

Kevin

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Okay, THAT is possible. It was dieseling. The engine wasn't wasn't running smoothly, kind of chugging along? Crappy gas or being grossly out of time is a possibility. Do these engines have a timing belt or a chain?

I would start looking at all your ground. Add a few, block to chassis, body to shassis, etc maybe. You have a large array of odd problems, I have seen a bad ground do things like this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re:

And the starter seems to stick occasionally, but that sounded more like a bad starter than an electrical problem.

Thanks BlackDak - I see you are in WA too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK, don't know if this will help..... Before I owned my Durango, I had one of the first QuadCab Dakotas with the V6. I walked out to it one day and noticed some sticks poking out from the left turn signal area and thought "well, maybe when I was off-roading I got some debris up in there". Didn't think much more about it 'till I got to town and noticed that no gauges were working. I turned the key to off and the dakota sort of "dieseled down" and finally cut out. At this point I'm sweating (and it's november in Connecticut). I start her up, no gauges. Drive to home a mile away, shut down, she diesels again. Pop the hood and YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! out jumps a squirrell with what appeared to be some fur missing from it's tail. It had big pointy teeth.......which it had used to chew thru a good portion of the wiring harness in the front left corner of the car. I spiced everything back together and she worked fine. I never forgot the squirrell, and still carry a tazer whenever I open the hood.......

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would do a indepth check on your starting system, sounds like your starter kept going without you realizing it, thats the only thing that could possibly drive your engine with it not being running, especially if you hear a "weird" noise. I would almost bet that it was your starter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips guys.

Bet that was one pissed off squirrel!

I need to check the starter. It didnt turn over right away a couple of times today.

It seems like it is the starter but recently I have not heard the solenoid, so that makes me wonder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts