Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Dakota R/T. The other day I noticed a tick tick tick tick upon start up and my oil pressure gauge dropped to zero along with a gauge light saying “check gauge”. Checked the oil, it wasn’t even showing on the dipstick however there were no puddles and she definitely does not smoke. I drove her to the auto parts store (probably shouldn’t have) for some oil. While driving I got the same dip in oil pressure and now a check engine light. Put some oil in it (conventional 10w30). Fast forward to today 6 days later, I cleared the check engine light by pulling the battery and I’ve now added 7 qts of oil, no more gauge light or check engine lights but the oil keeps disappearing. Again no smoke, no leaks…. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as this is a truck I purchased recently and I’m new to American V8s.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,251 Posts
Remove the air hat from the top of the throttle body, open the butterfly and, with a flashlight look into the bottom of the intake manifold, likely saturated with oil. If so, the coverplate gasket on the bottom of the intake needs replaced.

Reactions: immattj

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove the air hat from the top of the throttle body, open the butterfly and, with a flashlight look into the bottom of the intake manifold, likely saturated with oil. If so, the coverplate gasket on the bottom of the intake needs replaced.
Gotcha, i gotta get a socket big enough to pull the bolt off on the top of the air hat. I’ll do that tmrw. Thanks man, been wracking my head over this for days now 👍🏼

·
4,251 Posts
Gotcha, i gotta get a socket big enough to pull the bolt off on the top of the air hat. I’ll do that tmrw. Thanks man, been wracking my head over this for days now 👍🏼
Should be finger tight but, you never know.

·
4,251 Posts
Hmm I’ll try it first thing in the morning. Btw when you say “coverplate” are you referring to to the plenum gasket?
Yes.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
215 Posts
It might be tighter than finger-tight, but it shouldn't be so tight that a crescent wrench or a pair of pliers won't get it.
But anyway, 9t9 might be on to something with that plenum gasket leak theory--but I would think that if it was leaking that bad (7 quarts in how many days?) it would still be blowing smoke as that oil that is getting sucked out of your lifter valley & into the intake manifold is still winding up in the combustion chambers . . . & not only that, I would think that if you had a major vacuum leak like that it would be making your idle RPMs do weird things. But who knows . . . "I would think" were the operative words there.

This is interesting--let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
215 Posts
. . . and here is an interesting thread on the 3.9/5.2/5.9 plenum leak topic that I found to be extremely educational for me. It also includes a link for buying an aluminum plenum pan with gasket to replace the OEM steel pan (dissimilar metals & rates of thermal expansion being the cause of the leak).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So quick update. I was able to remove the air hat to get a look inside. This is what it looks like
Material property Rim Gadget Audio equipment Auto part

Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Rim Camera accessory

I have now put about 8 qts of oil since last Monday and it keeps going down. There’s now visible smoke upon start up and my idle is a bit rough. Still drives fine, doesn’t overheat and none of the gauge lights have come back on. I replaced the pcv valve yesterday and although she runs a bit better, oil level keeps going down.

Side note: I sure hope it’s not the plenum gasket but if that’s the case would it be better to go with an aftermarket intake manifold instead? Like a Holley EFI?

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
594 Posts
Hard to tell from your pics, the focus is a bit off, but that sure looks like a pool of oil down there.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
215 Posts
So quick update. I was able to remove the air hat to get a look inside. This is what it looks like View attachment 111416
View attachment 111417
I have now put about 8 qts of oil since last Monday and it keeps going down. There’s now visible smoke upon start up and my idle is a bit rough. Still drives fine, doesn’t overheat and none of the gauge lights have come back on. I replaced the pcv valve yesterday and although she runs a bit better, oil level keeps going down.

Side note: I sure hope it’s not the plenum gasket but if that’s the case would it be better to go with an aftermarket intake manifold instead? Like a Holley EFI?
Sorry that I cannot offer any practical input on the intake manifold swap over . . . to be honest, I wasn't even aware that there was an available one piece intake manifold for our engines . . . but I will be the first one to tell you there are a lot of things I am not aware of.

I haven't had to do much work on my 5.9 RT yet (low miles & she doesn't get a whole bunch of use), but I have pulled the top of my '02 GMC 5.3 apart a couple of times & it really isn't that bad a job if you don't get in a hurry & feel like you have to be done yesterday, & I can't imagine that a Dakota with a 5.9 would be a whole lot different.

If it was me (and I am actually planning on doing this job, preemptively, pretty soon, myself) I would just buy the replacement aluminum plenum pan, & I would get the one that Ralph posted the link for in that thread I referred you to. That kit looks like a sweet deal--gaskets, bolts, injector o-rings, & even a new bypass hose all included with it. It looks to me as if one wouldn't need to buy anything else.

I cannot tell from the pic you posted, but all the symptoms you have described kind of match up. Look on the bright side--pulling your intake off & replacing the plenum pan is a way better deal than if you had blown a rear main seal or if a cylinder had gone totally south on you.

Let us know what you decide to do & how you make out on this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry that I cannot offer any practical input on the intake manifold swap over . . . to be honest, I wasn't even aware that there was an available one piece intake manifold for our engines . . . but I will be the first one to tell you there are a lot of things I am not aware of.

I haven't had to do much work on my 5.9 RT yet (low miles & she doesn't get a whole bunch of use), but I have pulled the top of my '02 GMC 5.3 apart a couple of times & it really isn't that bad a job if you don't get in a hurry & feel like you have to be done yesterday, & I can't imagine that a Dakota with a 5.9 would be a whole lot different.

If it was me (and I am actually planning on doing this job, preemptively, pretty soon, myself) I would just buy the replacement aluminum plenum pan, & I would get the one that Ralph posted the link for in that thread I referred you to. That kit looks like a sweet deal--gaskets, bolts, injector o-rings, & even a new bypass hose all included with it. It looks to me as if one wouldn't need to buy anything else.

I cannot tell from the pic you posted, but all the symptoms you have described kind of match up. Look on the bright side--pulling your intake off & replacing the plenum pan is a way better deal than if you had blown a rear main seal or if a cylinder had gone totally south on you.

Let us know what you decide to do & how you make out on this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts