Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Adrian Guzman
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle gave me a MTX THUNDER240 amp. info is:
20 watts rms/ch into 4 [email protected] .05%.
40 watts rms/ch into 2 [email protected] .1%
80 watts rms/ch into 4 ohms @ .1%.
200 watts dynamic power bridged into 4 ohms.
Have no clue if that will power my 2 kappa perfect series 10'' infinity subwoofers. The subwoofer info is:
Power Handling, Peak: 1400W
Power Handling, RMS: 350W
Sensitivity: 94dB (In Car)
Frequency Response (± 1.5dB): 18Hz - 150 Hz
Frequency Response (±3dB): 18Hz - 150Hz
Impedance: 4 Ohms

·
Registered
667 Posts
Just get a good amp that matches your subs, look into those 2 Evilsizer recommended, or the Kicker I recommended in your other thread.

·
2000 6.7 R/T
371 Posts
Underpowering a speaker will blow it more than overpowering it. If you wire the subs together to pull a 4ohm load from the amp, you would only be giving each sub 200w MAX thats at high peaks. For those subs a good 1000watt amp would do ya good. But if your subs are single voice coil, wiring them together will give you either a 2ohm load or 8ohm load. If thats the case, you need to get a mono amp which can be wired down to 2ohms mono. If they are dual voice coils then your set :biggthump

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Brandon00RT said:
Underpowering a speaker will blow it more than overpowering it. If you wire the subs together to pull a 4ohm load from the amp, you would only be giving each sub 200w MAX thats at high peaks. For those subs a good 1000watt amp would do ya good. But if your subs are single voice coil, wiring them together will give you either a 2ohm load or 8ohm load. If thats the case, you need to get a mono amp which can be wired down to 2ohms mono. If they are dual voice coils then your set :biggthump

Do you speaka any english? lol :stupid:

·
Texas
207 Posts
WicKed R/T said:
Do you speaka any english? lol :stupid:
LOL
If he even put that much power to them they would blow. the max wattage number is the amount of heat they can take before meltdown not max power of the amp they can use. This has been said and talked about @ diyaudio.com and other forums.
I wont go into underpowering it since thats making things to techincal.:stop: If people want to learn about that kind of stuff. I highly recommend heading on over to DIYAUDIO.COM and read up.

·
2000 6.7 R/T
371 Posts
He stated peak power for each sub is 1400watts. With a 1000watt mono amp, he would give 500watts to each sub max. Thats not to much power

·
Texas
207 Posts
then go to diyaudio.com and tell them your going to use a 1000watt rms amp to a sub that can only handle 350watts rms. As i said the max wattage is heat dissapation before mealting the VC. Max Watts is never looked at when buying an amp its always wattage RMS.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Brandon00RT said:
Underpowering a speaker will blow it more than overpowering it.
hahhahaha, I hate to do it, its one of those topics that can turn into a 5 page thread, lol. But hey...how come a sub doesn't blow when you turn the volume down if underpowering blows speakers?

It all comes down to this, underpowering doesn't blow speakers. A moron with his hand on the gain control blows speakers ;)

·
Car Audio God
502 Posts
Evilsizer said:
then go to diyaudio.com and tell them your going to use a 1000watt rms amp to a sub that can only handle 350watts rms. As i said the max wattage is heat dissapation before mealting the VC. Max Watts is never looked at when buying an amp its always wattage RMS.
Key thing he said was PEAK. Peak doesn't matter period anyways, NEVER look at peak wattage on anything, it's useless. Only pay attention to RMS wattage for amplifiers and speakers. As far as the perfect, look into a good 700 wrms amplifer that puts out RMS power @2ohms.
Check out a JBL600.1, an MTX 801d or similar for new on ebay at an ebay store

JohnnyKo12 said:
hahhahaha, I hate to do it, its one of those topics that can turn into a 5 page thread, lol. But hey...how come a sub doesn't blow when you turn the volume down if underpowering blows speakers?

It all comes down to this, underpowering doesn't blow speakers. A moron with his hand on the gain control blows speakers ;)
Yup, underpowering will do NO HARM to a subwoofer or any speaker for that matter. Even with gains cranked, and clipping, a significantly underpowered subwoofer will NOT be damaged. It's when you go well over RMS rating, or clip the heck out of an amp at or above rms power. peace

NG

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
2,307 Posts
I'm running a 50(watts rms)x2 kenwood amp to 2-10" OZ Audio Comp subs 180(watts rms)x2. I have been running this setup for almost 7yrs and never had a problem.

E

·
0 Posts
Anthony said:
I'm running a 50(watts rms)x2 kenwood amp to 2-10" OZ Audio Comp subs 180(watts rms)x2. I have been running this setup for almost 7yrs and never had a problem.
Do you get much of any bass out of those?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts