Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to start my dak to go to school on monday and the lights came on and the radio came on etc. but it wouldn't turn over. Just gave a clicking sound, like it's trying to turn over but cant. The batter has to be good or the lights etc. wouldn't come on right? So it would be the starter? (my mom seems to think it's the alternator) lol....

Anyway, if anyone knows what really IS going on, let me know please and how to fix it too if possible.

Thanks,
Hugh

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Bigguy18LSU77 said:
I tried to start my dak to go to school on monday and the lights came on and the radio came on etc. but it wouldn't turn over. Just gave a clicking sound, like it's trying to turn over but cant. The batter has to be good or the lights etc. wouldn't come on right? So it would be the starter? (my mom seems to think it's the alternator) lol....

Anyway, if anyone knows what really IS going on, let me know please and how to fix it too if possible.

Thanks,
Hugh
It's your battery. 1st...Make sure your connections are free of corrosion and are on tight. Then try to start it up again. If no good, then take your battery down to Autozone or an autoparts store that checks them for free.

But then again I got to stop myself. Here comes a lengthy story...heh'

The other day my truck didn't want to start as well, everything came out, lights, radio, etc. But it didn't want to turn over at all, not even a clicking sound. I even got a boost to see if it would work, no good. Because I wanted to get home (I was at work 30 miles away). I went down the street to an Autozone, bought a new battery, installed it, and bam, it turned on.

The next day I got my old battery (Interstate) tested, and they said it passed and it's fully charged! So I don't understand what happend. I'm going to go ahead, and install the Interstate battery again to see if it works, if it does, then I'm returning the new battery, if it doesn't then at least I have a new battery.

Another thing I was told was to check the starter, it could be stuck, or a wire came loose down there. I was going to get under the truck, and check it. But I figured the easiest solution to try first was to change the battery, and sure enough it worked.

So in conclusion, lol, I'd buy a new battery first to see if it's your problem. If it still doesn't turn on, then it's probably your starter.

Now once you get a new battery, and it's running, drive it around awhile, with the radio, lights, etc on......stop, somewhere, like your house, and turn it off, turn it on a few times to see if the alternator is working, you can tell by looking at the battery gauge. If it keeps going down, then it's the alternators fault for killing your battery.

Phew, sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That wasn't that long. But it's a BRAND NEW battery. Less than a month old.... If it is the alternator I'm just going to get a 320amp one off an ambulance (Power for my soon to be system!). :finger2:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Bigguy18LSU77 said:
That wasn't that long. But it's a BRAND NEW battery. Less than a month old.... If it is the alternator I'm just going to get a 320amp one off an ambulance (Power for my soon to be system!). :finger2:
It could be dead because your alternator. Try swapping out the battery. If it turns on, there you go, alternator. Once it's on, have it checked (alternator) for free at Autozone.

·
0 Posts
Here is another way to check your charging system,
Start your truck and while it is running remove the positive cable from your battery.If it keeps running then your altenator is at least putting out enough to run your truck.It may not be enough to run your truck and charge your battery.If it dies then you are running on battery power and you probably have a weak altenator.

Rick

·
Registered
250 Posts
actually you can cause voltage spikes that may damage control modules when you disconnect the battery with the eng. running... if you get the truck started just put a volt meter and check the charging voltage, should be up around 14 volts while the eng is running. and it dose sound like a typical dead battery problem. that is very likley all thats wrong with your truck.
-good luck

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it jumped off, and for it to run at all I have to hold my foot on the gas for a while and the battery gauge will go up to 14. Then when I kill my truck, then put the key in ACC. they battery gauge reads around 6.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I woul defintely say dead battery, which may be the result of a dead alternator.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Bigguy18LSU77 said:
I got it jumped off, and for it to run at all I have to hold my foot on the gas for a while and the battery gauge will go up to 14. Then when I kill my truck, then put the key in ACC. they battery gauge reads around 6.

I forgot what it is about the system but the truck will not keep running with a dead battery even with a jump. There is something that shuts it down if there is something wrong with the battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts