Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up all. I am new to this site but not to Mopar. Anyway, I will get to point. I was going to buy a new Charger RT when they came out, but I am in the middle of buying a house and I now realize my Charger dreams are just that, dreams. I have a '03 Dakota 4.7 5-speed and I am now determined if I can't get the Charger, I am going to make this truck a Mustang Killer. I need to know the absolute best chip that you guys have used. I am not getting one that doesn't live up to its potential as money is tight now and I don't need to waste any of it. Any help or experience you all can provide will be appreciated.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not to be an ass or anything but WHY would you want one of those ugle NEW chargers. I like the old mopar muscle and if I had the money that is all I would own but a four door charger? When I saw that I was so mad at chrysler. They are being to lazy. As for your truck being a mustang killer I wish you luck. My dad has an 83 mustang 5.0 5speed and It will more then likely beat your truck but then again I can't say for sure because I have not driven a dakota like yours but I have driven the stang and all I can say is good luck. Most stangs run in the 10s and 11s with out NOS. People don't leave those stock. Oh and you will need more than a chip to do that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I say Mustang Killer, I am talking about a low 14 second truck. Everybody knows that most Mustang GT's you see on the road are not 10 or 11 second cars, but instead 14 to 15 second cars. Not to mention a mid '80s GT doesn't even have 200 hp stock and ran mid to high 15 second quarter mile times. A low 14 second truck would put me right in the challenge of most of the Mustangs out there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here in Iowa all mid 80s mustangs are build and do run around the 10s or 11s and My dads stang is mostly stock but it would still run high 14s if the clutch wasn't going out. And you get against any other mustang with a V8 from the 1990s or newer and your ass is grass. Trust me stangs are a little lighter and what I said before most people do not leave them stock.

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Yea I live in Iowa and these 10 and 11 second tangs you speak of dont grow on trees. I have seen hundreds probably thousands of those cars on the road and maybe 5 of em were built 10 sec cars. :sorry:

*******, change your pcm, do some intake, exhaust, and slap a paxton on that f*****, youll be sendin those mustangs out to pasture like theres no tomorrow.

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Btw ******* whats the stats on your truck? gears, cc or rc, lsd, etc. Besides the pcm change what else ya thinkin? Maybe a throttle body, CAI, exhaust. Its a 2x4 right? Just wondering, I love the 4.7 5 speeds :biggthump

·
Registered
504 Posts
You will need more then a chip to take on the 05 Mustangs. The V6 is putting out over 200 HP alone and with the new frame and traction improvements they will be hard to beat. The GT stock is at 300 HP getting it down the ¼ at 13.6 with the auto trans.

·
Registered
92 Posts
T.j. go out to porkys this saturday night around 8pm because that is when the stangs start rolling in. Go out the wakuee to lund motors they have those or go out to the sugar shack in altoona may 25th at 5:30pm or to valley junction june 5. Most 10sec cars don't come out unless they are going to a special event like these or until after dark. Go to any of these places at these times and you will see what I am talking about. :biggthump And not to many newer mustangs are modified but around here almost all the 80s 5.0 are modified. :mullet:

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Hey guys I dont think he was saying "hey guys I want a chip so I can run 9's and have 900 h.p. what one should i get" I think hes starting to mod his truck and is starting with a chip.

Helltime: That was exactly my point, those are nice tangs but theyr not really street driven, they come out to shows etc liek you said. With gas prices these days :cussing: im surprised they take em to even the shows and special events. Cant be there either, gotta work :cussing: :sorry:

·
Registered
504 Posts
For starters drop in the HO cam and a new TB. A new set of headers with true duels along with the chip should get you going. I would open up the heads for the final touch. After all that you need to plant that extra power to the pavement, a set of 17 inch and maybe a new set of gears for the rear.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In response to T.J., it is a reg cab short bed 2WD with a 3.55 open rear. All I have done so far is exhaust and just the K&N filter, not the whole cold air induction. You are right, I am not looking to run Vipers down, but here in DE, most of the kids that run 'stangs are puting more money into looks instead of speed. If I had to guess, I would say my truck is running low 15's now and I am beating some older GT's ( not to mention most Hondas). I figure a chip, headers, and a cold air intake should get me faster than 75% of the Delaware population of Mustangs. ( BTW, I am using Mustang GT's as a easily recognizable performance benchmark)

·
Registered
92 Posts
T.j. said:
Hey guys I dont think he was saying "hey guys I want a chip so I can run 9's and have 900 h.p. what one should i get" I think hes starting to mod his truck and is starting with a chip.

Helltime: That was exactly my point, those are nice tangs but theyr not really street driven, they come out to shows etc liek you said. With gas prices these days :cussing: im surprised they take em to even the shows and special events. Cant be there either, gotta work :cussing: :sorry:
That sucks that you have to work I was there and everyone is running vortec superchargers so I know my dad's stang won't hang with them. Ya most of the faster one's don't hit the street much. But that surprised me when I went to porkeys and all six stangs I saw with the hood up had vortec superchargers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I Would Say Forget The Chip And Buy A Lightning Killer Package From Krcperformance.com. I Know I Know It Is $4799 But To Put Your Truck Into 13's I Would Think It Is Well Worth It!!

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
1. Not every Mustang on the road is a 10 sec car. A 83 Gt is not that fast at all stock, i think they were around 170hp.

2. I have a mostly stock 90 5.0 and you will need alot of work to beat my car.

3. The new charger is Ok, but does not live up to the name, but it is better that the 80's Charger.

·
Registered
92 Posts
1. Good point about the 80s chargers I forgot about those because that was before my time.
2. I corrected my self in a later post that a few of them are 10sec. cars and they rarely hit the streets.
3. The 83 5.0 mustangs were rated at 175hp from the factory and I did not say they were that fast I was just using them as an example.
4. I do not know if you were talking about the truck not beating your stang or the 83 but the 83 is a better choice for building because it has a carb and it is not computer controlled so there is alot a person can do to get more power for cheaper and to beat a mostly stock 90 stang 5.0 I wouldn't have to do hardly anywork or spend hardly any money.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have a 2003 dakota 4.7 with headders and exhaust soo to be the gsmotor sports true duals. I have beaten 94 and 97 mustangs before with my auto. its the H.O you dont need to put the ho cams in its a waste go to www.krcpeformance.com they have some killer cams. I ran around 14.9 with just exhaust before the headders i dont know what im running now with the headders but i want to start adding performance since my suspension is done and body kit ect.. go with the superchips controller or get a custom flash for your dakota youll like it and up grade the clutch. The 4.7 really likes air so anything to get it more air would be great supercharger. With a paxton youll make 300 hp to the wheels on the dyno enought to blow a mustang to shits. and i had a 87 mustang who the hell says they run 10 and 11 stock i had to put a 351 in mine to get it to run fucking 11.4 crazy people ! good luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't think we will every see one run 10s STOCK but modified yes. The mid 90s mustangs so I have heard get their power at a higher rpm range so a dakota with almost any V8 could get one of those off the line if it was stock.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts