Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I am a first time poster here and I'm hoping someone out there will be able to help me.

My wife and I are expecting a baby very soon. We already have 3 kids (13, 11 and 2). The 2-year-old still uses a car seat. Has anyone solved the problem of how to put 2 baby seats in the Durango?

If I put them side-by-side in the middle row, the third seat doesn't have enough clearance to tip forward and allow access to the back.

If I put one on each end of the middle row, crawling into the back is a major undertaking.

If I put the car seat in the very back, it doesn't fit as well, plus I loose the ability to use that cargo space.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

K

·
0 Posts
Place the seat for the 2 year old in 3rd row seat passenger side. The new baby seat 2nd row back of the driver side easier for you as a Mom to tend to her if you need to, and if you and the baby are going for baby visits easier for you to get her in and out without you having to walk around the car HA! HA!

If your 2 year old is moving on to 3 year old soon or he or she is a big 2 move on to a booster seat there are ones with the backs that has the inserts for the seatbelts on the side that will be more comfortable and safe. I have one and my son loves his seat it has a cup holder and arm rests. That will leave the 2nd row passenger side seat to be your only way in and out for the older ones to sit in the 3rd row and leave you room for the baby bags.

As far as groceries and shopping leave everyone home. Or maybe if you dare get a 04 Durango with the split 3rd row seat, that might help a little but if your whole family is traveling the new D won't help any. Good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have two kids, one in a baby seat one in a booster....

I usually just run one on each side of the second row...but recently we needed to take two more people, so I put the older kid in the back row on teh drivers side and the baby on the second row, drivers side......Then the two otehr folks sat one in each row.....

Unfortunately, as far as the back row is concerned, if you need to fold it down you dont have much choice....

Car seats ARE a pain......necessary of course, but a pain.....The Voyager my sisterinlaw has has built in booster seats...THAT is a nice thing......Too bad the new D doesnt have THAT.

DZ

DZ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big letdown

Let me tell you I was very disappointed when the first one was born and I couldn't fit the car seat in the middle of the second row. When I bought my D, it was with "family vehicle" in mind!

I can't believe I'm being forced to consider trading in my D for a... a... (I can hardly even say it.) A MINIVAN!!!

Just over a freekin' car seat??!?! :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, you *can* fit the car seat in the middle of either row....

But it makes the two outboard seats mighty small....Weactually did this once in my Explorer.....booster seat in the middle and two small kids, one on eitehr side.....

Its not so much a function of the size of the D itself, but a function of the size of the car seats...they are very wide.....only way you could do this is in a full size van or SUV.....My sisterinlaws Voyager wont let you put two car seats side-by-side either......splitting them is a neciessity....

Them car seats is HUGE!

DZ

C

·
0 Posts
I would say let the kids go, but don't trade in the Durango man...

Just joking... I only got 1 kid and dont have your problems yet... I dont quite understand what the problem is with putting the car seat in the third row?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greetings, coliseum.

2 problems with putting the car seat in the third row.

1) It's not a full size seat back there, so the car seat isn't quite as stable as it should be.

2) I essentially lose that cargo space back there. I'd have to take the car seat out every time I want to use it.

Oh well! I was hoping someone had found a car seat narrow enough to fit in the middle of the second row.

Cheers!

·
Registered
79 Posts
"Oh well! I was hoping someone had found a car seat narrow enough to fit in the middle of the second row."

If you find one let mek now <grin>

It is doubtfull..car seats are actually seeming to get LARGER...the bigger they are the more protection afforded to our little peanuts..... :) I have a picture of me at age 4 or so and the car seat I was in was metalframe with a thin pad and a seat belt across my waste......they have come a long way as far as protection.....

But I can't even fit a BOOSTER seat next to a regular car seat...the car seats flip-up bar gets in the way and smooshes the kid in the booster...then they start to fight.... :fight:

I guess we have to give up a little utility or convenience to keep them boogers safe..... :) The Caravans with built in boosters are nice..very streamlined....

DZ

S

·
0 Posts
Not to take away from the safety subject but when I was growing up, we had an old 65 Ford F100 and a 63 Fairlane. (this was 20 years ago) We weren't rich but dad was a mechanic and thats all he had ever owned so thats all we drove. We didn't have car seats or boosters. A car seat to dad was his arm. I think thats why I got such a hard head now... that and the dashboard. Sorry I don't know why I put this in here. My apologies.

·
Registered
79 Posts
No need to apologize...it is relevant... :)

That was what I was saying too....My picture has me in a late 60's Mercury.....

I can also remeber riding in the back seat of my mom's and dad'scars with no seat belts on, watching out the back window as we drove.....and sitrting in the "wagon" part of the station wagon, with no seat or seatbelt....

One year on vacation we were in my dad's 79 Trailduster...I was about 11 or 12.....my brother was 10.....We were on the beach, and my dad decided to go FAST , perpendicularly over theother tracks on the beach....for those who have done it, you know its a BUMPY ride...my borther and I ended up ALL OVER the floor of that truck....even smacked against the celing several times....Not fun. Ouch. We started wearing belts after that.

Ah, the bad old days......

People just didnt realize.

DZ:rolleyes:

S

·
0 Posts
HAHAHA!!! Thats how dad got me to start wearing seat belts too... Slam on the brakes! Fly through the air! Its fun until you hit the dash. Ah the good old days. Guess it made me tougher. Now I own a new Dak with seatbelts that don't hardly let you breathe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
re: Car Seats

You are right about the car seats being a bit unstable in the 3rd row. I have one car seat used as a booster, and one toddler sized seat that is buckled in. You can get the seat belt real tight by pushing down on the seat when buckling it, but it is a bit harder to do that when there is a lil' one in it!

I end up just taking the carseats out when I need the cargo room and if possible or I need the seats soon for certain I will just put them in back and yes, it takes up cargo room but it saves forgetting to put them back in later.

The other pitfall is losing a seat to the front airbags. Now that is a whole another topic of discussion!

Kevin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts