Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has installed or seen the MTX Thunderforms Box for subs (unloaded/ no subs) for CC Dakota. Ive been thinking about getting them, as they replace the stock under-seat storage, but dont know how they hold up, and haven't found many reviews that wernt tied to the company somehow. I saw that they only fit 10" subs, which makes me mildly unhappy, but eh, at least I wont loose the seat space (the dakota still has to haul people sometimes :cussing: lol) and the box is kinda inexpensive. I just need some decent bass in there, the whole sound system needs an overhaul, I think the people who previously owned the R/T took the Infinity speakers out, because the ones in there now are terrible, cant turn them up too loud, no bass, heavy distortion. Well hey, thanks for any information you guys have on these, if you want to see the product, go here
MTX ThunderForms
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
277 Posts
get it, load it up with adire kodas or if you can build your own box similar specs or adapt them to your needs/wants= cheaper, similar results, maybe better

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I think my big worry is that the box would be too thin and the subs would fall through them, ive always had custom boxes made of 1" wood, and needed every bit of the thickness. I am also unenthusiastic about the speaker leads, but I can mod that easily

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
I can comfortably bet anything I own that I have the World's BEST sounding Thunderform. :D

It wasn't cheap, and it might not look like much, but no one ever see it anyways.....they just hear it. The Adire Audio Kodas were $230/each, but worth it. My two 10's hit as low and just about as loud, as a big 15 I had before them. Most people think they're 12's and I could have easily mistaken them also if I didn't know they were 10's.

They've only got 300w each running to them, but that's all they need. The Thunderform is thick and strong enough to hold them and provide pretty decent sound. Sure an MDF box would sound better, but I wanted to keep my interior looking pretty much stock. This is how my perfect system was planned, and will remain. :biggthump

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That does look good, where did you mount the amp? In the S10 i mounted it to the back wall, and I was thinking I could put it under the seat in the dakota, but not sure how great the airflow would be there

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Both of my amps are under the seats. 95-97 S-10's can fit them under the seats also, unlike the newer 98+ ones. Luckily the space under the Dak seats are plenty big to put an amp, of course depending on the size.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
The Thunderform is definitely a sturdy product, I've had one in my '01 R/T for nearly 3 years and it's held up fine even with 3 kids bouncing around in the back seat all the time.

The speakers that come with it are "ok" - they're high impedance, and the airspace in the box isn't spectacular, but if you want a simple setup that still sounds pretty decent, the "loaded" thunderform is the way to go. If you want to be able to squeeze a bit more bass and sound quality out of the system, buy it unloaded and put your own subs in - the only catch is the Thunderform isn't very deep, you can't put the beefiest subs in there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I Want To Build My Own Box Similar To The Steath Box Bit I Dont Have Any Specs Does Anyone Have Specs Or Pics?

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
bg99rt said:
I Want To Build My Own Box Similar To The Steath Box Bit I Dont Have Any Specs Does Anyone Have Specs Or Pics?
I'll have to post some pix here, I have a single pic of the amp area on my Car Domain page (sincityrt/sincityrt2). Unfortunately I don't have a full pic of the Stealth Box before installation, and my camera won't take pix that wide from inside the vehicle.

I would recommend molding your own box if you have fiberglass experience, the Stealth Box fit & finish wasn't very good - along with their customer service it's not much of a surprise to me that they went out of business.

·
Car Audio God
502 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
I can comfortably bet anything I own that I have the World's BEST sounding Thunderform. :D

It wasn't cheap, and it might not look like much, but no one ever see it anyways.....they just hear it. The Adire Audio Kodas were $230/each, but worth it. My two 10's hit as low and just about as loud, as a big 15 I had before them. Most people think they're 12's and I could have easily mistaken them also if I didn't know they were 10's.

They've only got 300w each running to them, but that's all they need. The Thunderform is thick and strong enough to hold them and provide pretty decent sound. Sure an MDF box would sound better, but I wanted to keep my interior looking pretty much stock. This is how my perfect system was planned, and will remain. :biggthump
Without a doubt, hands down winner!

Get the Adire Audio Koda's! They'll utterly OBLITERATE anything listed in this thread sub-wise. The SoundQuality is considered to be the epitome for a 10" subwoofer, and the output will be greater than the "loaded" ones. In all honesty the preloaded ones suck...just get the thunderform and drop in some Koda 10's!

NG

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I will have to get the specs on those, I was going to drop some 10" JBLs in there because Ive always had fantastic results from the power series line, but I think they would be too big for a shallow box like that. I read the specs on the loaded MTX boxes but wasnt too impressed with those subs. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
182 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
Ok, your on. But as I am going to win (best sounding) let's just make it for a $1.00.

Diamond Audio MacDaddy 10.4 single mounted in passenger hole with Thunderform bottom extended (as well as Dakota floor) 3". Drivers side of Thunderform sealed with cut out for a Zapco C2K (completely decoupled from the box). The entire inner surface was chemically etched then 3 layers of 3m carbon fiber cloth were added for strength and dampening. The box is as dead as any high end home speaker.

It is truly amazing sounding and exceeded all my expectations. Not only will it kick for Rap or Pop but it has a musical quality not normally associated with car audio and is equally suited for Jazz or Classical.

Attachments

·
Car Audio God
502 Posts
arcdesigns said:
Ok, your on. But as I am going to win (best sounding) let's just make it for a $1.00.

Diamond Audio MacDaddy 10.4 single mounted in passenger hole with Thunderform bottom extended (as well as Dakota floor) 3". Drivers side of Thunderform sealed with cut out for a Zapco C2K (completely decoupled from the box). The entire inner surface was chemically etched then 3 layers of 3m carbon fiber cloth were added for strength and dampening. The box is as dead as any high end home speaker.

It is truly amazing sounding and exceeded all my expectations. Not only will it kick for Rap or Pop but it has a musical quality not normally associated with car audio and is equally suited for Jazz or Classical.
Sorry, but you'll get utterly pwned...period.

NG

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
The guantlet has been thrown!

BTW, I have the thunderform (2 10's with an amp under the drivers seat) in my 99 c/c and it's the shiz-O-nizzle. Without a doubt, the best thing I've bought for my truck with regard to fit, form and function.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts