Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody using the mtx sub-box,it looks great but does it sound good.it seems to me theres not enough space for the subs.with out losing the back seats what other options do i have? is there enough room for a center console in back to house two 10s or one 12,please help.

V

·
0 Posts
I am getting my MTX thunderform box with some MTX subs and my amp today in the mail, hopefully I will get it in by this weekend, once i get it installed i will let ya know how it sounds.

C

·
0 Posts
I do have this installed and they sound killer with MTX subs in them. I have a 99 CC running 2 MTX amps with the EBC controller along with JL audio components with Q logic kick panels and it is bad ass. I am a huge music guy and love sound nice and clean with thump when I want it and the set up I have has impressed everyone who's heard it. People can't believe that this deep sound comes from this sub box and is stealth as well. Let me know if I can help more maybe with pic's if you need. Pretty trick definately recommend the box!

, Christian

V

·
0 Posts
Hey Christian where did you mount your amps, I have 1 Rockford Fosgate 500s and I am gunna see if there will be enough room under the passenger seat, you think that will be the best place for it.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
let me know where the amp goes,i thought inside the sub-box tray?right now i have 2 bazooka tubes,sounds okay but i want my back seat back.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
an Idea is to install a peice of plywood or MDF in the back of your passenger side seat and install the amp there... but most people w/cc's have either the back completely taken up by subs or nothing or a maybe a small one in a Stealth box, but they don't sound that great (to me)

·
shake them babies
3,550 Posts
well, i've had a thunderform since august but haven't installed it yet. biggest excuses why not are: still shopping for an amp, then deciding where to mount it; and i don't want to remove the LATCH hooks just yet.

C

·
0 Posts
I currently have 2 amps 1 for the mids and highs (1" Tweets,4" mids/Voice,6.5" Mid bass,6.5" Coax mids in rear panels.) and another just for subs (2 10" MTX 6000 series polished.) Both amps are mounted vertically in the center console. From both sides you can see the amps inside facing out towards the seats. Alpine head unit with Alpine 12 disc changer which is for sale now.

Christian

·
Car Audio God
502 Posts
You can do A LOT better. But for a pre-fab sealed box, it's pretty good. As far as boxes go, what subs do you have? You don't want to sacrifice a lot of space...so you could look into a custom enclosure, possibly fiberglass. It's not real hard, LMK if you want help. peace

NG

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
I have the thunderform with 2 10's in my 99 club cab. 400 watt amp is under the front seat. Sounds great and hits hard. What I like about it is that it's out of plain view, retains the back seats and has a tool tray. On a installation scale of 1-10 (10 being most difficult), I give it a 6. It's a tight squeeze getting it in. But worth the effort. It looks like a factory item.

V

·
0 Posts
So I got my MTX thunderform Box in my Dak and now I just need to find a place to put my amp. I have a Rockford Fosgate 500S 1000 watt amp and witht eh Heat sink its a pretty big sucker, It wont fit under the seat witht eh heatsink and MTX says you need 1 inch of clearance around the unit for proper heat distribution. I want it somewhere out of site ( since i dont have tinted windows yet ) and I dont want to andvertise that I have a nice system.

ANY IDEAS!!! :help:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I've got an idea, put a trained pit bull in the cab of your truck. NO ONE will mess with your system then.. trust me, I know :D :mullet:

V

·
0 Posts
Now that would work Bigguy18LSU77 but I found a solution, i removed the Heatsink mounted to each side and it now fits under the drivers side seat, but if i ever get a bigger amp I will try your idea. :jester:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hiding the amp

To hide the amp I plan on removing the plastic side panels in the backseat area, cut out a hole in the inner sheet metal, mount the amp in between the inner and outer(external skin of truck) sheet metal, and reinstall plastic panels.
The advantages of this are:
1. The amp is out of sight
2. Frees up more room for sub.
3. Amp gets plenty of cooling air.

Take care,
DECEPTOR

·
Adrian Guzman
1,979 Posts
subwoofer/box problem

i just put that mtx box in my club cab dakota. BUT my problem is that i want to put some really good infinity speakers and its too deep for the mtx box i need like a little less than an inch for the subs to fit, so what i want to do is put something under to lift it, get some longer screws and get a precise cut on the bottom of the box. Then fit in the subwoofers and seal it with some rubber stuff or something like that. i was told that it would work but i still want your guy's ideas. thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Corepred4 said:
so what i want to do is put something under to lift it
Are you talking about lifting the box or the speaker?

Corepred4 said:
get some longer screws and get a precise cut on the bottom of the box.
Longer screws? Are you talking about cutting the bottom out of the box? Sorry if I totally misread your post.

Now, if you don't mind raising the seats I would get 1" stock(MDF or plywood), glue and screw it to the top of the MTX box. Cut the holes for the drivers either before or after you install the new top.

DECEPTOR

·
Adrian Guzman
1,979 Posts
?confused?

uhh deceptor, can you explain what you said, i don't understand the drivers and stuff yeah i'm slow. but what i wanted to do it put something completely under the box, to lift the whole thing up. of course the seats are going to be higher, get a precise cut on the inside of the enclosure on the bottom and put the subs into there. confusing yeah i know

V

·
0 Posts
So i just finished puting in my MTX thunderform with two 10" MTX subs and the thing sounds amazing, i havent even fine tuned the system and there is no distortion whatso ever and no rattle at all from anywhere in the truck, I put my rockford fosgate 500S 1000 watt amp under the driver side seat ( which was a squeeze) and it made for a very clean install. I think the greatest thing is knowone can tell if you have a system unless they here you bumpin' down the road

1 - 20 of 29 Posts