Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this about a month ago in another forum. But got mixed answers and had no idea what to get. Also I e-mailed MSD directly and never got a reply. Am I asking the wrong question? I see most everybody on this site has upgraded to MSD ignition. I have never really fooled with any igntion system crap. So What all do I have to buy to completly re-do the ignition system. And is it a do it yourself job. Or do I need some kind of crazy ass scientific special tool and a PH.D in astro physics? Any help will be appreciated

·
Sideways on Sundays
8,064 Posts
Heres what I have on my truck,

1. MSD 6A
2. MSD Tach Adapter (keeps the pcm from throwing a code)
3. Accel wiring harness(so you don't have to cut & splice factory wires)
4. MSD 8.5 MM plug wires
5. MSD Blaster Coil

It's a pretty simple straight forward installation, no rocket science degree required. Feel free to send me a PM if you need more details or help on the install :biggthump

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
just a little FYI for ya man....might wanna put NSFW(not safe for work) in all of your threads...your avatar pic is gonna get me fired

·
Getting Old
5,037 Posts
yeah u might wanna change that avatar...I have a MSD Coil, got it not too long ago. With it i noticed faster starts, smoother idle, and quicker revs. This might have also come with just a new OEM coil, but its always good to get something better. I plan on getting a BTM next year when i get my V8...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the MSD help guys. I am ordering my stuff this week. Sorry about the avatar, I was kind of iffy about putting it on there, Thought it was a cool little picture, but didn't think about people at work. Sorry It is going away.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
The MSD6A and 6AL work great on our trucks. A lot of us have had problems with blaster coils though, I would recommend the accel unit for that. You dont really need the wiring harness, its only four wires to cut and splice, power and ground. The tach adapter is to cure a "Soft Code" the pcm will throw. It will not affect anything, or turn on the CEL.

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
Ive heard that when you get a shift kit you shift at lower rpms, does the msd ignition help shift at higher rpms?

·
Chest Thumper
978 Posts
sick 660r said:
Ive heard that when you get a shift kit you shift at lower rpms, does the msd ignition help shift at higher rpms?
no, it just gives you more spark, and depending on the ignition it will retard timming, give you a 2 step, rev limiter, and so on

·
Registered
22 Posts
MSD does make an ignition bx. for the 4.7L called the stacker 8, made for coil on plug ignitions. Been saving up & plan on ordering one this coming week. will post results after it is installed. Only thing I having trouble making my mind up about is plugs to go with it, thinking either 5224's or ngk v power. not sure yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.