Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[B]I own a 2006 Dodge Durango AWD 5.7 HEMI LTD. I just hit 95,000 miles. I am getting under 300 miles per tank of gas. I just changed all 16 plugs. I drive 60% hgwy and 40% city. I DO NOT HAVE A HEAVY FOOT. IS THIS NORMAL? What kind of mileage should I be getting? Anything I should be looking for? Any help would be much appreciated. [/B]:huh:

·
17,622 Posts
300 miles to a tank doesn't tell me anything. You need to actually calculate your mpg by dividing the number of miles you drove by the number of gallons you filled up with. And a AWD Durango is going to be one heavy SOB and not get the greatest gas mileage anyways.

·
Registered
72 Posts
mileage

My 04 Durango with 104,100 miles on it, awd hemi, Limited gets 19-22 miles per gallon always . Gets better if you set the cruise at 71, then it's 21.3 all the way. I've gone 400 miles on a tank with some left over. I've calculated this by the refill tank method.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Than something is very wrong, my 06 with MDS barely gets 300 on a full tank. I reset the tripodometer when I fill up. and I fill up on empty so something is terribly wrong. I just replaced all 16 plugs and I replaced the air filter. Any help out there?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Than something is very wrong, my 06 with MDS barely gets 300 on a full tank. I reset the tripodometer when I fill up. and I fill up on empty so something is terribly wrong. I just replaced all 16 plugs and I replaced the air filter. Any help out there?
Hello, I just tried to get my tank replaced so i let tank run out. I got over 400 on mine. It is a 4.7l 4 wheel drive. Is your mil light on? Do you let it warm up before leaving house? I know it sounds like stupid questions, I noticed the real cold weather makes mine eat fuel. I get about 14-17 mpg. I had to let it warm up after these real cold nights and saw a big difference. The defroster also eats fuel due to a/c compressor being used. Maybe you have a problem with the computer and no mil light. Hope this helps.

·
No Boost? Why Drive?
1,766 Posts
Again, miles per tank doesn't tell us anything. Figure out your MPG and come back.

·
Registered
668 Posts
IAC valve clean. About time for some O2 sensors, possibly, also. Just did this to the family cruiser, 2000 Buick, and can avg 37 on the hwy as opposed to 31 before.

Another easy thing to check is tire inflation...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what is the mil light??? I have no warning lights on. I am going to get a diag. check this week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All that I am asking is what kind of mileage should I be getting with a 06 MDS AWD Durango Hemi. Lets say I do 50/50 highway/city. What should I get per tank. I am a normal driver. In fact I drive very conservatively. I know that this is not a prius I just want to make sure I am getting the mileage that I should be getting. Any numbers would be great.

·
I know nothing
1,247 Posts
how many gallons are you filling up the tank with? take the number of miles for the tank, and divide it by how many you fill it up with, then we can give you some answers, but until then we cant help you because we dont know what kind of mileage you are getting, we are all asking questions to try to help yet you just keep repeating the origional questions you asked in the first post

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have crunched the numbers and I am only getting 12 mpg. I just changed the plugs and the truck has always been well maintained. There are no warning lights on. If I need an egr valve or O2 sensor how would I know. What test should I do could I do to find the problem?? Any help would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[Reviving a really old post, but I am new here!]

If it takes 20 gallons to fill your tank after driving 300 miles, you are getting 15 MPG which is not bad for mixed city/hwy driving. 12 MPG is a bit low.

The EPA estimated fuel economy on a 5.7L AWD 2005 Durango is 12 city / 17 highway / 14 combined.

I get 15-16 on average during the week in mine. All-highway I get 18-20. Towing ~5000 pounds, all highway, I get 12-14.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In the city I get around 300 miles per tank. According to the overhead console I am getting around 13mpg and that is mostly city mabey 75% city 25% highway. Now on the highway I can pull around 19.4mpg on the overhead console. Mine is a 2007 AWD with the 5.7 HEMI. I plan on doing more stuff to mine though. I've done a cat back so far, but I have planned a cold air intake and a programer. These 3 item got me and extra 3-4mpg on my 2004 quad cab 2wd hemi when I had it.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
A tank is not a standardized unit of measure. It would be like complaining that you can only go three days before needing to fill up again.

Here's an easy and nerdy way to calculate your mileage. Go to www.fuelly.com and create a profile for your Durango. Then after you fill up your tank you can send your profile a simple text message with the SUV's mileage, the price per gallon, and the number of gallons you put into the tank. After that it does all the work for you and returns a text message containing the MPG of that last fillup and your average MPG. Your profile will contain a graph that shows how your MPG changes over time, and you get a URL to an image Fuelly updates every time you add more data to your profile (see the one in my signature)

Dodge, and especially the Dakota and Durango, are awful on gas mileage. It's almost as if the engineers went out of their way to make the mileage as bad as possible, and it seems like thing that should improve performance actually make things worse. I think my friend's '59 Chevy that's the size of a Walmart gets better mileage than my Dakota.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
[Reviving a really old post, but I am new here!]

If it takes 20 gallons to fill your tank after driving 300 miles, you are getting 15 MPG which is not bad for mixed city/hwy driving. 12 MPG is a bit low.

The EPA estimated fuel economy on a 5.7L AWD 2005 Durango is 12 city / 17 highway / 14 combined.

I get 15-16 on average during the week in mine. All-highway I get 18-20. Towing ~5000 pounds, all highway, I get 12-14.
HOLY CRAP! This thread is old!
Oh well, the truth's the truth. Dodge sucks on gas mileage. a "tank" of gas is a meaningless measurement, etc...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts