Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've foundn1 or 2 threads saying it can be done...what are the benefits of it. I have a chance to scoop one up for free...and I can get a rebuild kit for free as well. I got out every weekend on dirt Jeep trails here. So I'd like to be as capable as possible while still maintaining streetability. This is my daily so I need reliability as well. Just want to see if it's worth the effort to swap. I'll figure the actual swap out later.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I've foundn1 or 2 threads saying it can be done...what are the benefits of it. I have a chance to scoop one up for free...and I can get a rebuild kit for free as well. I got out every weekend on dirt Jeep trails here. So I'd like to be as capable as possible while still maintaining streetability. This is my daily so I need reliability as well. Just want to see if it's worth the effort to swap. I'll figure the actual swap out later.
Having had a 99 Durango with a NP242 (Selec-Trac) and a 95 Grand Cherokee with a NV249 (Quadra-Trac) the Jeep, though it has less options, needs less selecting. It’s in 4WD full time. The only other option is 4LO, which I have never needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've driven a Grand Cherokee with the NV242. I like it for all the options. A brief read on Novak Adapters site indicates high praise. And they say it can handle plenty of power (Durango stock v8 should be fine).

My 04 Dakota NV233 (2hi/4hi/4lo) went bad. I swapped to the NV244 (awd/4hi/4lo). I miss having 2wd sometimes, but the awd is worth it to me. Especially for mixed conditions like ice, snow, and dry pavement all on the same road. Plus no drivetrain windup, which sometimes happened on snow packed roads in 4hi (parking maneuvers).
With the NV242 you've got the advantage of 2wd available still (2hi/awd/4hi/4lo). I think it's a good option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've driven a Grand Cherokee with the NV242. I like it for all the options. A brief read on Novak Adapters site indicates high praise. And they say it can handle plenty of power (Durango stock v8 should be fine).

My 04 Dakota NV233 (2hi/4hi/4lo) went bad. I swapped to the NV244 (awd/4hi/4lo). I miss having 2wd sometimes, but the awd is worth it to me. Especially for mixed conditions like ice, snow, and dry pavement all on the same road. Plus no drivetrain windup, which sometimes happened on snow packed roads in 4hi (parking maneuvers).
With the NV242 you've got the advantage of 2wd available still (2hi/awd/4hi/4lo). I think it's a good option.
I’d select 242 if I was buying new, just for the option, but it would not benefit me to go through the trouble swapping. I enjoy knowing my 249 combined with the I6 in my JGC is a rare combo.

I have the 244 in my 2004 Durango and it works fine for me too. Good in snow but 4LO is fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts