Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am now completely just sick of New Mexico... always hated it here.

I am seriously thinking of leaving the State. Texas seems to be kinda cool... I know theres alot of Dak's there... Chime in, gimme ideas!

I want to be close to a good school, cause I want to do that sometime in the near future... But I guess it's not really all that Important... Dallas? Houston, what should I do... I know Texas Tech is cheap, but I heard Amarillo is kinda... "the armpit of Texas" so...

Speak Up! :help:

·
Registered
29 Posts
the arm pit ?

lived in amarillo all my life...it's more like the azzhole !
nothing here but wind and dirt....the trees even grow at a 45 degree angle,
it's so flat you can whatch your dog run away for two weeks !
go south grasshopper....and not to lubbock either,it's even worse ! :vomit:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Come on down south to Corpus Christi. Summer is right around the corner and the beach is at our door step. We have one jr college and Texas A&M as well. We're not as big as Dallas or Houston and no where near the traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
IMO... you wanna be in the center of things.... Texas is large... IN EVERY SINGLE DIRECTION!!!!!

If you wanna be NEAR a large city... live somewhere near me... I'm a reasonable 3 hours from Dallas/Fort Worth, 2 hours from Austin, 1 hour from Houston, plus we have two colleges... the TRUE Texas A&M University, and a community college called Blinn College that you can take some night classes at or whatever.

How old are you,... and where in New Mexico are you coming from?

Paul

·
Keepin' It Keebler
179 Posts
Texas

Go to Houston. College Station would be good to, or Austin, which is the party capitol of Texas, lol.

I'm near Victoria until December, then I will be in Houston to attend UTI for custom finish/collision.

Texas = greatest state ever

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YAAAABUDDY03 said:
How old are you,... and where in New Mexico are you coming from?

Paul
I'm now gettin to be an OLD 22 (Seems old to me atleast) and I'll be heading from Albuquerque. I'm locked into this Lease untill June 06, but I am really thinking I'll get my kota all paid off and destroy any and all debt I have so that I can make a clean free break. I tried movin to Las Cruces, which wasn't bad at all, just couldn't find a job for 3 months, and that REALLY hurts when you got a truck payment (Owed $230 a month on my Cummins at the time)

Thinking Texas might really be a good place to move. I want to get started right into college, but I might have to wait a year or so to get residency so it's cheaper. Most Texas schools I've seen don't honor the "Alliance of Western Goveners" allowing peeps from Az Nm and Tx (think Co too) to have instate in any of the states.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Everythings better in Texas

Im a newbie from texas.There is a big dak fan base in texas,especially R/T's..

·
Registered
13 Posts
move to dallas or surrounding areas....just watch out for oak cliff its a bad place to be at night....there are some great places all around texas...lots of good schools and cool cars and trucks

·
It's not my fault!
555 Posts
For now I think you would be better off going to Dallas or Houston. The job market is better there. Check with the colleges you are interested in and verify their residency requirements. Dallas has a couple schools - UTD, UTA, and some decent junior colleges - Brookhaven, Richland, Collin County Community. There is also UNT up in Denton. As a former Longhorn I would say go to UT in Austin. Great times, and great school. Only problem is jobs in Austin - all those graduates don't want to leave so apartment occupancy is almost 100% year round and there is pretty heavy competition for all jobs there.

If you end up in the DFW area, look us up.

www.dfwdakotas.com

·
Registered
103 Posts
My vote is Commerce. I'm here and so is Texas A&M. The ONLY University in Texas

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have no problem with Raiders...only the longhorns.

·
It's not my fault!
555 Posts
foreverfrost said:
I have no problem with Raiders...only the longhorns.
Oh well, nobody is perfect!

j/k - Glad to have ya, even if you are an aggie!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm in NE Texas but I recommend College Station, home of the Texas A&M Aggies. Great place to go to school and to live. Lots of friendly fun loving folks, most of which are college age. I was there in the early 90's but still go back at least once a year. I had a great time with the A&M Sports Car Club back then. Didn't matter what you drove.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
TejasDave said:
I'm in NE Texas but I recommend College Station, home of the Texas A&M Aggies. Great place to go to school and to live. Lots of friendly fun loving folks, most of which are college age. I was there in the early 90's but still go back at least once a year. I had a great time with the A&M Sports Car Club back then. Didn't matter what you drove.
I've lived in College Station sense I was 6. It is a pretty cool town, just stay on the south side of things, or you might get shot.....

I was raised in Aggieland, but I'm a Raider for sure... I can't stand staying in College Station anymore.....

BTW.... congrats to the longhorns for winning the national championship!!!

Paul

·
Registered
103 Posts
PYE, I saw you the other day in the Victoria area. Nice ride.

I have lived in Lubbock, Dallas, Houston, College Station, and now Victoria. The people get better the farther south you go. I mean no offense by the following stereotypes. It is just my experience.

Lubbock smells like cattle, is flat boring, and is full of frat-daddies from Tech. Don't bother.

Dallas is better, but not much. The successful people your age are in debt up to their ears because of trying to keep up with the trends and look flashy. Those that aren't in debt either stayed home after highschool and went to UNT, and now have boring jobs and highschool friends. Most of the town is plastic. Ft. Worth is quite a bit better, with hotter TCU people, a more subtle night-life in the stockyards, and nicer folk.

Houston is big. If you can't find it in Houston, it doesn't exist. It is a good place to start in Texas, get a job, and then have the company promote you to somewhere else. There are great people, groups for everyone, Daks everywhere, and generally good people. Traffic sucks, but what big city doesn't?

College Station is amazing. If you want to be near the greatest school on the planet, down home young people, cheap living, and active night life; CS is your town. My favorite 4 years of my life were spent there and I wouldn't trade them for everything. I go there more often than I do back to my parent's place in Dallas.

Victoria is in the middle of nowhere, but it is the best small town that I have ever visited. Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and Corpus are all about 2 hours away and the people are still "small".

Good luck finding a home in Texas.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
College Station eh? It's sounding better and better all the time. Maybe one of these days I'll get out there and check things out.

Stupidest Question: What school is in College Station? Anyone know anything about thier Civil Engineering area?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hooedaddy said:
I went to school there. Just decided the military was more for me.

Did my time in the Army. Medically Retired at 25

1 - 20 of 21 Posts