Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of talk recently about the remote turbo setup for the v6 dakota.
I'am very interested in this idea, but i havn't read any post yet were anyone has given any real specs on the compents needed.

I was hoping someone could tell me exactly witch , turbo, wastegate, BOV, and oil pump to buy. Model numbers ext... I wouldn't want to buy the wrong components.

Also what upgrades to the fuel system are required?

I'am still learning about all this stuff.

Any info would be great thanks.

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
remote turbo is probably the same as a regular turbo setup, besides the fact that its remote...i dont really know anything about this, but i think its prefrence pretty much. Send Slow97Dakota a PM, he should be able to really help u out :biggthump

· Chest Thumper
770 Posts
Blkdak1999 said:
Lots of talk recently about the remote turbo setup for the v6 dakota.
I'am very interested in this idea, but i havn't read any post yet were anyone has given any real specs on the compents needed.

I was hoping someone could tell me exactly witch , turbo, wastegate, BOV, and oil pump to buy. Model numbers ext... I wouldn't want to buy the wrong components.

Also what upgrades to the fuel system are required?

I'am still learning about all this stuff.

Any info would be great thanks.
what are you looking to do with the truck? you have a ton of turbo & wastegate choices, but it all revolves around with how far you want to take it. when i was going that route i had a turbo from a 87 gn which had a internal wastegate. is this a budget build? bov is easy to come by and its entirely up to you on which one you would want to run, only things to realize are some bov's are ment for big boost while others arent just be carefull on that. oil feed for the turbo is very simple. themongril can help alittle with the oil return. i just sold my oil pump to a member on this board. if you contact sts i think you can buy a oil return kit. for fuel you should be fine with your stock injectors but your will need a inline pump sumthing like a 155, and a type of fmu. vortech fmu's are easy to come by and there mildly cheap 150 for new. i got mine used for 65.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info

what i want to do is only boost as much as the stock 3.9 can take without being heavily modded.

· Chest Thumper
770 Posts
clutch will be fine, replace it when it starts slipping. you will be able to run 10 lbs as long as the fuel is there in which i dont see why it wouldent b. your going to wana swich out head gaskets cuz those will leave the playing field quickly. to make stuff easy on you, you should pick up a turbo and wastegate from sts. unless you have alot of resourses to aid you with the bends for the exhaust. if you do i would look into gn turbos. not much lag, can support a good amout of hp and should spool similar on the dak as it would a gn. themongrel can tell you the spool charicteristics of his turbo. one thing u should do is keep the pipe as short as possiable and dont have a cat on the truck. 2 1/2 inch will be fine, and dont run a tail pipe out of the turbo. what other mods are on your truck? what ever else ya need to know ask away.

· Registered
175 Posts
I have had mine for almost a year now with out any problems. I still have the stock head gaskets in the motor and great compression through out. I have bumped mine to 10 lbs of boost with out any issues as well. All that being said, I am going to go a different route with a truck early next year and will be selling all the tubing, wastegate, BOV, oil pump, and hoses as a complete unit. The only thing you would need to purchase is the actual turbo (T-3 is about $300 on ebay), hook averything up and go. the fabrication will have been done and tested :biggthump I am however, holding on to my turbo unit for my dragster. I am most likely going to ask $350-$400 for all. Just thought I would throw it out to ya.

Phil

Oh yes, I am going to shoe horn a Hemi into mine for next years show season.

· Chest Thumper
770 Posts
themongrel said:
I am however, holding on to my turbo unit for my dragster.
lol um, wouldent that turbo be way to small for dragster??????? unless its a v6 dragster or a jr dragster......or lol i duno

· Chest Thumper
770 Posts
you can run a wide band if you would like. im just bringing my truck to a dyno and using a a/f meter on it there. cant help ya with the wastegate. mine was internaly wastegated had 1 spring and was adjustable from 5-22 psi. what wastegate are you looking at?

· Registered
175 Posts
My Front Engine Dragster is an 8.90 class S/C car (runs much quicker though). With a Holley and a "throttle stop" she will run 8.90s all day. With the Alcohol injection setup and my foot to the floor she has run a best of 7.79 @ 172 while at Firebird in Az. That is a rush with the motor in front of me and the rear end housing between my legs :mullet:

Old Body

New Body

· Chest Thumper
770 Posts
themongrel said:
My Front Engine Dragster is an 8.90 class S/C car (runs much quicker though). With a Holley and a "throttle stop" she will run 8.90s all day. With the Alcohol injection setup and my foot to the floor she has run a best of 7.79 @ 172 while at Firebird in Az. That is a rush with the motor in front of me and the rear end housing between my legs :mullet:
that has to be a awsome rip. what motor? S/C is a compeditive class. i can only watch a few run of it tho. the throttle stop kills me

· Chest Thumper
770 Posts
gn turbos are a good choice. that what i picked up when i was goin that route. except mine was a tb034 or sumthing like that. it was a hybrid. to save on trouble tho a turbo with the exhaust inlet and the dischage facing the same way will make it some what easier on you. price is getting kinda high on it. for that u might as well drop the extra 100 or so and get a turbo from sts

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.