Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
14 cylinders
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. Just got my new R/T, and i'm loving it already. I have a question though...the previous owner put a Mopar PCM in the truck which I know requires 93 octane. He said that he's always put 87 in the truck. My question is does the 87 hurt the chip at all, or does it just mean that the chip wont perform to the best of its ability until I run it with 93? Also, he said it was put it and flashed by the dealer. What does this mean? I suck at all the electronics stuff, confuses the hell out of me. :huh: Thanks, Pete.

·
Home Owner....
1,722 Posts
well, with the MOPAR ecm, it is best to run 93(or higher...) though 89 IMO, is the lowest id run. it wont hurt the chip(ECM) but you could/can/will have ping(pre-ignition) due to the advances fuel and spark curves.

now, what exactly did the stealership do to the ECM?? hopefully they didnt mess with the programming in a bad way. thus ruining the whole reason for the Perfromance ECM. Flash is a way to update the programming, and that *could* help or hinder the truck.

might help some of us R/T owners to better help you out if you know who the previous owner was(Delhi Forums screen name or such). we are a tight group and pretty much know each other.

·
14 cylinders
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I do plan on running 93. I was just wondering if the 87 would hurt the chip. The guy said he's never had any pinging or other problems with the 87. I'm not exactly sure what they did, all I know is that it was flashed. I don't know if he was a member of any forums. I'll guess i'll find out if its working when I fill it up with 93 and feel it.

·
14 cylinders
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, well once this 1/2 tank of 87 is gone, it'll be the last 87 octane this truck will ever see. I don't know why he used 87 octane if he had a chip. Kinda stupid to buy a chip and not use it to its full potential. Whatever, I'm just happy it didn't have any adverse effects on the chip. Can't wait to put some 93 in it and see what she'll do.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Octane has no affect on the PCM. Pinging can cause engine damage. You can run what ever octane is needed to prevent pinging. You may not need 93. Many with the Mop.ar PCM find that 93 is not needed. I use 89. Mine will ping with 87. Performance will be no better with 93 if it does not ping with 87.

BTW it is not a "chip" the Mopar PCM is the entire computer.

G

·
By him saying that the dealership "flashed" the PCM, I'm guessing that he meant that the VIN was flashed into the computer's memory. You can use an unflashed PCM in your truck without any problems, but the brake warning light will be on all the time if the VIN isn't programmed in.

Use whatever gas that will keep your engine from pinging. If you can get away with 87 without a ping, then by all means go for it. However, if it does ping, go with a higher octane or risk engine damage.

Use a heat range cooler spark plugs (Autolite 3923's) and a 180 t-stat to help guard against ping. I run 89 octane with my PCM and have no pinging issues at all with those two simple mods. And as Neil mentioned, a higher octane gas isn't going to get you any better performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.