Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
King Snow Dog
9,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got something weird going on with my 4.7

A couple of weeks ago (on a Wednesday) I installed bwdakrt's 4.7L throttle body. That weekend I changed the oil (Mobile1 5w-30 with a pureolator pureone filter) and also changed the pcv valve (I had bought one during the summer and just never got around to installing it). Everything was fine.

That Tuesday the temp had dropped into the low teens, and has been there ever since for the most part. I noticed a burning oil smell on the way to work and checked and found the back of the intake and down onto the top of the back of the motor had a thin film of oil on it. It's been burning off here and there ever since, but ive just kind of ignored it, figuring eventually it'd all burn off and go away.

Today it got really bad again, so I checked and it seems like again there's a somewhat fresh oil film covering the back of the intake. I thought maybe the gasket around the new TB wasn't sealing well and it was leaking out of there. I pulled the TB off thinking id just put some RTV around it and found the intake has some of that foamy moisuture/oil mixture you get in the filler tube sitting in the front and also coating the neck. The back of the TB also had some moisture on it. But doesn't really show any signs of oil leaking around it anywhere.

What the heck is going on here? I don't know if it's related to anything I did or just the weather. I know the 4.7 gets that oil/moisture mixture a lot in filler tube when the weather's cold but I've never had anything leak on me before.....

Thanks

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
its related to the weather. I have never seen it as bad as your case but its a common issue with the 4.7. Its called oil emulsion accumulation. Its most common during short trips especially in cold weather. Supposedly its harmless according to dodge. Since your situation is more extreme than others i have seen i would recommend doing this TSB: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/25-001-06.htm. It completely stopped it in my dakota.

If you want to know more do a search on "oil emulsion accumulation" or read this http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238826

·
King Snow Dog
9,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. My Durango sees many short trips back and forth to school and work. Probably doesnt get completley warmed up half the time.

Is it normal for it to be in the intake as well? I assume it's just getting sucked through the PCV?

I took the TB off and cleaned it and around the top of the intake manifold. Reassembled and started it up and I can see oilish stuff slowly starting to leak from the bottom where the TB mounts to the intake. I have some Permatex Black gasket maker. Can I just use that or can the factory gasket be replaced?

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
the factory gasket can be replaced, i actually have a new one from a head swap i didn't use. Personally i have never seen it in the intake, but i have seen it way worse in the fill tube. the easiest fix would be to do that TSB. that way nothing will go into the TB or intake manifold, since the PCV valve will be in the head instead of the fill tube. there is one other TSB for your year d that is cheap, and should help a little. TSB #090100A (http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_090100a.pdf) and some info on it: http://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/219570-durango-oil-filler-tsb.html

B

·
0 Posts
Your PCV valve is sucking that crap into your intake. Also may look like you didn't get the TB bolts torqued down evenly. Replace the gasket and when you re-install the TB, start with the bottom bolt and tighten it to the point of where it just starts to snug up, then go to the top right (drivers side) and tighten it the same amount and then to the top bolt on the passenger side. Start over at the bottom and tighten each bolt an equal amount until they're all tight. If you tighten one bolt down all the way before you snug the other two, it will not seal off.

·
King Snow Dog
9,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Do TSB items have to be purchased through a dealer or can I find them online somewhere?

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
dealer is the only one i know of that sells them. the first one i posted is about $100-$150 and the other one is under $50 if that matters

·
Registered
268 Posts
Great info guys I thought I had a blown head gasket. Thanks

·
Grab life by the horns
1,033 Posts
I did that tsb a long time ago when I was in Maryland and driving alot of short trips it really does help. The only thing you really need from that tsb though is the pcv. All you have to do is unscrew your rear crankcase breather install the pcv and hook up a vacuum hose(preferrably fuel line i.e. non collapsible hose) to the back passenger side of your intake behind your throttle body. The tsb has a part kit to replace your oil filler with one that doesn't have a place for the pcv but all you really need to do is to put a bolt or something in the hose for the pcv. You'll end up paying a lot for a bunch of parts you don't really need. This mod was actually intended for Rams with the 4.7 but it works on any vechicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts