Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,177 Posts
that gives you a good reason to upgrade to the depo's :biggthump

· Registered
1,177 Posts
it's all good. it's the company that makes euro diamond cut headlight for our trucks

· Registered
1,177 Posts
the bulbs are APC icy hots. 194 is the little bulb and 3157 for the turns. the head lights run aroun $150. check ebay or http://www.procarparts.com we just had a group buy, so check with adam on that. I would go with the exhaust. You can take your headlights off and reseal em. that might help a little.

· Registered
893 Posts
I have found that those Depo's Diamond Headlights are some serious pieces fo SHIT! I have sealed both headlights twice with sealant and they still "leak". This weekend I finally got fed up with them and reinstalled the stock headlight. I wish that I just bought the diamond clear corners for 60.00 instead of gettign the combo for 175.00. Not worth the aggreation. I am a expert at removing the headlight assembly though! I will give it one last hoorah and then they are getting smashed with a 15lb sledge!

To get the water out try using a hair dryer pointed into the ligh bulb hole.

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my only problem would be that you would be able to see the strobe tube that im going to be installing soon.

ill check stock light out and see if i can fix it

has anyone tried the corner piece replacement but its not clear like the depo

· One of the Elite
1,054 Posts
The reason they fog up is because the seal is broken around the outside. When you put silicone around them to keep the air out, you are also keeping the air thats inside inside. Therefore, when the air on the inside of the headlights is heated up by the bulbs being on, and the air outside the lights is cold, then there will still be fogging, or moisture, regardless of whether they are sealed or not.

The only way to keep them from fogging is to drill some vent holes on the underside, so that if it rains, or you wash the truck, the headlights dont get moisture in them, however the vent holes are still there, one to let air in, one to let air out. It creates circulation, and keeps the moisture out.

Thats what i did to mine, and havent had any more problems since, and you cant even notice the drilled holes I put in them.

~CYCLONE_06

· No Dak, but a Dodge!
428 Posts
I also did that to one of my mustangs before buying new headlights that included the drain plugs. Another idea is to drill a hole on the backside as close to the bottom as possible, then putting a rubber hose in it, and point it down. This just makes sure there is no backsplash that could get in there. This was what the mustang headlights had installed on them, not one problem.

· Registered
893 Posts
CYCLONE_06 said:
The reason they fog up is because the seal is broken around the outside. When you put silicone around them to keep the air out, you are also keeping the air thats inside inside. Therefore, when the air on the inside of the headlights is heated up by the bulbs being on, and the air outside the lights is cold, then there will still be fogging, or moisture, regardless of whether they are sealed or not.

The only way to keep them from fogging is to drill some vent holes on the underside, so that if it rains, or you wash the truck, the headlights dont get moisture in them, however the vent holes are still there, one to let air in, one to let air out. It creates circulation, and keeps the moisture out.

Thats what i did to mine, and havent had any more problems since, and you cant even notice the drilled holes I put in them.

~CYCLONE_06
Then how come this is the first time I have ever had this problem. It is not like this is the first cold winter in New England!

· Registered
1,673 Posts
Fogging inside can only happen if there is already moisture inside. Moisture cannot pass through glass and plastic. The humid air must get inside first in order for it to fog. Humidity in the air will be attracted to the coldest surface it can find. In a headlight assembly, that is the front glass. In your house, it's the windows, which is why you get condensation on your windows on cold days, or condensation on a bathroom mirror. It's why a cold can of pop "sweats".

Another way to prevent condensation is airflow, which is why some types of lights have a drain tube, it's an attempt at allowing airflow.

Bottom line, remove a fogging light assembly, keep it warm for several hours or somehow remove any moisture, then seal it up good. Make sure it's air-tight, and you won't have any fogging issues anymore.

Goon, give that a try before you get rid of them...

Part of my job is dealing with mold caused by lack of ventilation in homes, so I would consider myself schooled in how to handle condensation related issues, if the is any question.

· One of the Elite
1,054 Posts
Im not exactly sure... but mine never did it either, until i took the truck through a pressure washer. After that, they started fogging up. Theres something about the pressure and the seal on the headlights that doesnt mix.

~CYCLONE_06

· Registered
893 Posts
Well , thanks guys for the very technincal answers. I really appreciate it. I think that I will give them a final try. I think one of the problems is that the plastic "cap" that holds the bulb tightly into position seemed a little "untight". The stock ones seem to fit tighter so I am going to try that as well as give ata a nice seal. And then wait to install on a warmer day tha tit is now, 14 degrees right now! Again thanks for all the comments.

· Registered
893 Posts
BlackDak they are yours if I decide that I do not or can't deal with the problem. I paid 175 shipped for the clear corners and the Headlights. Since I am keeping the clear corners and those are going for around 60, I will sell you the heads for 50 + shipping. How does that sound? THey are used but besides the fact that I get some condensation inside they are in perfect shape, no scratches or knicks in them at all. So I hope that I can get them to my satisfaction, but if not they are yours!

· Registered
1,673 Posts
That sound fine. If I don't already have a set by then, I'll take 'em!

One thing that came to mind, if the socket isn't fitting tightly. You can seal that with silicone as well. When cured, silicone is very easily sliced with a razer when you need to replae the bulb.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.