Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I just bought a 2001 rango slt 4x4 4.7L. I'm interested in doing a few or maybe many mods to increase gas mileage and maybe give me better driveability. With gas prices here in TX breaking the $2 mark. I need to figure something out. I know that intake and exhaust can improve mileage slightly. Are there any other mods that give a significant mileage increase. Any help is much appreciated!! peace

·
Registered
685 Posts
rangosteve said:
First off I just bought a 2001 rango slt 4x4 4.7L. I'm interested in doing a few or maybe many mods to increase gas mileage and maybe give me better driveability. With gas prices here in TX breaking the $2 mark. I need to figure something out. I know that intake and exhaust can improve mileage slightly. Are there any other mods that give a significant mileage increase. Any help is much appreciated!! peace
Let the motor breathe. Thats about all you can do. One other thing that helps a little bit is to switch to synthetic fluids. The rear diff especially.

Barry

·
Registered
504 Posts
Add a cold air intake along with a set of headers. I’m not much for headers on a stock engine but they will increase fuel mileage. Stay with the stock thermostat hotter running engines burn less fuel.

As Barry said, use syn oil, it helps some. You can also install a set of the 8 or 8.5 mm wires and a good brass cap and rotor along with a MSD 6A. Also keep your tires inflated to the max pressure, low tires can decrease fuel mileage by as much as 3 miles to the gallon.

In Southwest Ohio gas toped $2.20 a gallon for mid grade on Friday, gas prices suck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
rangosteve said:
Freeflowing intake and exhaust will help some if you can behave and keep your foot out of it :) . That said, you don't have to go nuts; a simple K&N drop in replacement air filter and an aftermarket muffler should get you about 2 to 3 miles per gallon. Don't waste your time with headers you won't see any gain on a 4.7. Likewise there is no need for a full CAT back system unless you want to replace the piping anyway. Keeping fresh spark plugs in the engine will help too. If you've got some money burning a hole in your pocket lighter wheels and tires will help too. If you do go with aftermarket wheels, stay as small as you can (I'm sure some people here will disagree); a larger diameter wheel even though it may be lighter takes more energy to turn due to the mass being further from the centerline of the axle (moving a rotating mass 101)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Pretty sure with the gasoline prices being on the climb for the next couple years (or so it's said) this will be a continual topic. What everyone said so far is true...yet the best thing you could do if you really want good mileage is don't daily drive your D, whip out your checkbook and pick up a daily driver in the form of a civic, corolla, or anything with half the cylinders and less than half the displacement. I have been driving my mom's accord as much as I can lately when she's not using it because the thing gets 30 mpg compared to my dakota. I was talking with her about replacing it with an 03-04 g35 sedan until these crazy gas prices hit and the realization that a 4 banger around the house is very useful sunk in. A 94 accord like her's is only around 3-4k now and is still a nice car and ultra reliable.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
The best mod for good MPG is to have a light foot or but an Ecnobox car. truck and suv's are not good on gas no matter what you do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Loose the clutch fan, headers and a good exhaust, cold air intake, run the tires high (I run my tires at 38) and develop a gentle foot.

chris

·
Registered
153 Posts
an aftermarket muffler
Loose the clutch fan
cold air intake
I've got the K&N filter, plan to replace dist cap w Accell or BW Select as mentioned elsewhere, thinking about wires. Muffler's probably ready for replacement.

Questions:

>Good brand of aftermarket muffler?
>How affordable is a cold air intake? Does it require other mods?
>What plug wires are good, without going overboard?
>What does it take to install MSD 6A ignition?
>What do you replace the clutch fan with?

switch to synthetic fluids. The rear diff especially.
EXCEPT if you have a limited slip differential--then you need to stick with regular gear lube plus correct additive.

·
Registered
504 Posts
>Good brand of aftermarket muffler?
>How affordable is a cold air intake? Does it require other mods?
>What plug wires are good, without going overboard?
>What does it take to install MSD 6A ignition?
>What do you replace the clutch fan with?

Gibson or Flow Master work great.

Under $200 and less then 30 minutes and your done. No other mods are needed.

Taylor are great and fit like a glove. Use 8mm

The MSD will take a little longer to install. The instructions will give you step by step details of the install. You will have to cut some wires to connect the 6A but it is fairly painless.

Replace with electric fans. This will require some time and some cash.

Headers will give you the biggest bang for your buck in saving gasoline.

Cover the bed of the truck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
mopar rt,

Thanks for the reply. The cold air intake and headers would be on my "long list." Right now, the "short list" includes Accell or BW dist cap & rotor, Taylor 8mm wires (thank you very much), and a new muffler. I don't want it too loud, just "throaty." Which is mellower, Gibson or Flow Master?

I've also heard that the 180 degree thermostat that is recommended for better performance can hurt mileage. So would the "colder" 3923 Autolite plugs that are often mentioned for power make a difference either way on mpg?

The plugs in there are almost new, and are the standard Champions.

I'm looking for the "tweaks" that will get the quickest payback, and I agree with 360 xrt that AIR is a really good deal these days! :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
The Gibson will give you a mellow sound and is not as loud as most of the others on the market. For gas mileage stick with the stock stat, the 180 will make the engine run a bit rich.

If your replacing the cap and rotor I would use the NAPA brass cap and rotor. NAPA is less expensive then the others and works just as good.

If your changing the wires it would be a good time to replace the plugs. I run the NGK plugs and have had good luck with them. They cost about $2.00 each, stay with the stock heat range.

I do not know what grade of gasoline you are using but a lot of people use a grade higher then what is needed. If your using 91 try 89 or 87 if your using the 89. I found that by using a grade too high my mileage went down. If it runs like crap go back to the higher grade.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I hear you on the lower octane gas. I always get better mileage on lower grade, and never seems to affect performance.

Thanks for all the tips!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Most interesting. I've been told to stay away from any synthetic with the TL, but I'd rather use synth. It needs changing now. Where would I go about finding this "I Synthetic"?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts