Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 99 durango slt with the 5.9l. i added a catback system,throttle body spacer (which im readin isnt so good) and a hypertech stage 1 chip and a cold air intake. i recently had a dyno done on it and the results were very poor. i think my main problem is my air/fuel mixture sittin way down around 10.1-10.2. is there anything out there i can do to correct this? ive been readin alot of posts and from what im readin, the mix needs to be around 13-13.5. i cant really afford to send the pc somewhere to get it reprogrammed. but i need to do something. i put more gas in my durango than i do beer in me and that sucks! any input on this would be greatly appreciated..

:jester:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
sounds like that would be your fix.. a mopar PCM or a flash

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
try simple things first like see 1-check temp gauge you might have a bad t-stat.2-how about throwing in a new set of plugs? 3-get rid of that spacer now! how many miles on your truck? if your getting close to a 100,000 miles your cat/converter has had enough. cats hate rich mixtures and its often overlooked good luck, pete

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Hypertech stage 1? I think you mean Jet chip stage 1 and not a Hypertech prgrammer. Get rid of the Jet chip. That may be part of your problem. Jet chips do not work that well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx for the quick replies!

thanx for all the quick replies! yes, its a jet chip. i just put in new bosch platinum plugs. ive only got 62k miles on it. as far as the cat, i found a stainless low restriction for $180. is that a decent price? and wheres the best place to get a pcm? would 1 of those high performance spark modules be worth the effort or am i looking at the wrong parts? as far as the chip, i think that was just a waiste of money anyways. i emailed the place i got it from and the only thing they could tell me is that they only test them on stock vehicles, which doesnt do me any good. so the t-stat can effect performance? whats a good one to use? if i get rid of the spacer and the chip, where else can i get the beef from? its a 5.9l, it should run like its got some big kahunas. i live in colorado so the air is naturally thin. any tips on cheap but big gains?

thanks for the quick responses!!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Throttlebody - Fastman.com

Computer or programmer:
Hypertech or Superchips programmer
or
Mopar PCM - southeastrt.com

Also platinumn plugs are a waste of money on the push rod 5.2/5.9 Basic copper Autolites are best.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
sometimes thermostats stick open the opposite of sticking close,so instead of overheating it runs to cold.if your temp gauge is working right somewhere around 185-190 is just fine.as far as computer chip goes i run a mopar unit.i think aftermarket chips try to do to much and dont always work like you plan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, im going to give these tips a shot and see how it does. i will post again when i get all this taken care of.

thanx again for all the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts