Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both exhaust manifolds missing and have loose bolts. :rant: 99% positive that that's what the ticking noise is. Started suddenly right before I tore it down to replace the lower control arms. Also have a leak at the drive shaft. :rant: The previous owner neglected the piss out of the brakes. Rotors scored up and pads worn past the pad backing. :rant:

Well, I did know I was buying truck with 175,000 miles on it. Still a cool truck - once it's fixed. :woot:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Everything fixed but the damned ticking. Also found that one of the bolts on the transmission mount was loose and stripped. I had to use a cutoff toll with my rotary tool and get a new bolt.

BTW royal pain in the ass finding the correct gasket for the drive shaft. Autozone and Napa both had the wrong part number listed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i have learned. 1. tighten exhaust manifold bolts to 70-80 % of full torque at first. 2. after 4-6 full heat cycles take to full torque. 3. if it leaks before that take to full torque. 4. be sure to use anti-seize compound on ALL ext bolts and all bolts on the bottom of truck. this article will give on the ideas of ext manifolds. even though it is on the slant 6 the ideas are the same. http://www.slantsix.org/articles/manifold-install/types-mounting.htm
that site is so great i wish i still had slant.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Everything fixed but the damned ticking. Also found that one of the bolts on the transmission mount was loose and stripped. I had to use a cutoff toll with my rotary tool and get a new bolt.

BTW royal pain in the ass finding the correct gasket for the drive shaft. Autozone and Napa both had the wrong part number listed.
gasket on driveshaft? Huh? never heard of that

·
9,489 Posts
Well logic says he means either the tailshaft seal or the pinion seal.. But apparently not a lot of that around here.. :nana:

Where is the oil leaking from?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well logic says he means either the tailshaft seal or the pinion seal.. But apparently not a lot of that around here.. :nana:

Where is the oil leaking from?
Sorry for the confusion but... for the love of GOD... cut me some slackl man... son of a... Damn!!!.. you use the wrong terminology and everybody just jumps all over your shit here.. I am so angry right now... :argue:

just kidding. LOL

yes... the damned tail-shaft seal on the back of the transmission where the drive shaft plugs in (probably for lack of some better technical terms again). They kept calling it the drive shaft seal at every part store I went to so I don't feel bad it's not just me. :smile:

That's fixed anyway no more fluid leaks, the ticking continues as other things are higher priority (in life not just the truck) than to fix the tick. I have done nothing more than confirm the exhaust leaks.

Maybe if it were doing some damage I would look at it sooner. For now pfft... it get's quiet anyway depending on if I took a hard left or right turn last... :drive:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts