Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 3.9 with basic upgrades, intake, exhaust, 180 stat, stuff like that. For about 2 weeks, when my truck gets under a half tank of fuel, it develops a miss for about 3 seconds when under acceleration and sometimes at idle. When I put the power down, it sounds like it's hitting a rev limiter for 3-5 seconds and then runs back fine. At first the miss was totally at random, but now it occurrs at the same time in my rpm range. It doesn't always miss right here, but if it does miss, it starts at about 2200 in second gear, stutters for a sec, and then starts firing on all cylinders again, only to miss again at about 3 grand. I've never heard of anything like that. First, I thought it was some bad gas, so I waited till the tank ran out, but it continued. I added some octane booster to burn out the water/bad gas/whatever, but to no avail. It was about tune up time, so I did the whole plugs, wires, cap thing, and still misses. Can my fuel pump be goin out, maybe? Some throttle body problem? Any help would be awesome. Thanks, guys

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
why not try replacing your fuel filter. I would first try that. when yo uthought you had bad gas and ran it out. did yo ufill up at the same place you though you had the bad gas from? where do yo ubuy your gas from ie exxon mobil shell or el cheapo station?

if yo uthink its water in there get this stuff called I think dri gas or dry gas.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No cheap gas, and pep boys said that 94's dont come equipped with a fuel filter. That was the first thing i thought of too

·
Registered
153 Posts
pep boys said that 94's dont come equipped with a fuel filter
You DO have a fuel filter, it's in the gas tank and part of the fuel pressure regulator. There's no in-line filter outside of this, so if it's a filter problem, ya gotta drop the tank to replace it! :cussing: If you do this, it's a good idea to replace the fuel gauge sending unit at the same time, even if your gauge is still working. They're notorious for failing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That did seem really weird that it would just NOT have a fuel filter. The fuel gauge is still working. Thanks a lot you two. Give me something to do now that I got my camaro running again. I was afraid I'd run out of shit to do, lol

·
Registered
153 Posts
greygoat,

Kinda Camaro ya got? I too am a Dakota/Camaro owner. The Camaro is an '89 IROC 5.7 TPI, mostly stock except for a 3.42 rear replacing the 2.88. Fun in the summer with T-tops. It actually gets as good or better mileage than the Dakota 4x4. It's my "economy car!" :banana2:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
69 sport coupe. Came with a 327 that was still in it when I got it(rich grandpa) lol. He bought the body, but all the resto was up to me. I put a 12 bolt posi in there, 3.42 gears. I pulled the old 327 which had the balls ran off it and bought a ZZ4 crate and threw a rod. Now it has a 94 vette LT1. Still got the stock Turbo 350 in there, which i want to switch out for a Richmond 6 speed. I put a coat of primer on it after all new panels, but haven't gotten around to the color yet. It's damn near pitiful when you paint cars for a living and can't get time to paint your own...

I also get about TWICE the mileage out of my Dak. Last time I checked, I got about 9mpg. I switched out the FI system for a Edelbrock 750 carb cause i wanted to chop the hood and stick a blower outta there, but I changed my mind now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts