Dakota Durango Forum banner

Misfire 4.7 plug #6

760 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Dawgdad1 
#1 ·
My truck in a Dakota Crew Cab Big Horn 4x4 with the 4.7 in it. Check engine light came on, used a scan tool to determine the #6 plug was misfiring. My mileage on the truck is 77,500 my book says intake side plugs are to be changed at 65,000 oops. Anyway got NGK platinum and 1 extra coil pack just in case one broke.
Every thing went great after I bought the right thin wall socket from Snap On, the plug I removed form #6 was almost 55 thousands instead of the .40 recommended. I disconnected the battery and held the key to start just to clear the code, no luck the check engine light is on once again. I also used the scanner to clear the code to be on the safe side. Only now there's an intermediate flash going on, used a better scan tool and get a code saying secondary coil. Since its a new coil and plug, am I wrong in assuming it might be a bad wire or exhaust side plug. I don't see any schedule to do the exhaust plugs or wires, so I'm looking for ideas. I don't like throwing money around to fix something simple, plugs didn't look brunt or oily just out of spec for gap.

#3 ·
Got it handled, had a wire in the injector connect broken, never saw it. All better now, just finished replacing the steering intermediate shaft to fix the stiff steering issue I was having. Compression test on all cylinders showed about +/- 10 lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.