Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Durango SLT.

I got in my truck this morning and the Malfunction Indicator Light was on. I drove for about 2 miles and looked down at the mileage and noticed I was at 60,002 miles, could this have been the reason the light came on. I had a Jeep a few years back and when I hit 80,000 miles the Emmisions Mant. light came on automatically.

Where do I start???

Thanks for any help you can give.

Scott

·
It's not my fault!
555 Posts
Nope. The maint reqd light was independent of the MIL light. Run by Autozone and they will check it for free. Alternately I believe there is an on-off key sequence that will flash the code to your dash. I am sure it is in here somewhere if you do a search. Just not certain on the years it works for.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
turn your key to on and off 3 times. It will show you any codes that are malfunctioning

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the FAST help. I got a code of P0442, which is P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak).

Where do I go from here???
Is this something that would be covered under warranty??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry after searching I found that I need to check my gas cap. Will the light go out once I fix it or do I have to reset something, and how??

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
light should go out. if not try this

Disconnect NEG Battery Terminal

Turn the ignition key to the START position and hold for 15-20 seconds

Release key (OFF) and reconnect the battery

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am new to the forum. Found the site after reading a window banner. Good job. Gotta get me one of those.
I have a 2001 Durango and the light came on as well. This is the second 2001 I've owned and both times the light came on. The first, I needed some kind of pressure switch for the gas tank.? Cost 150.00 from dealer. 2 days later light came on again. Dealer wanted 75.00 to recheck. Forget it.
Traded in that one for one with less mileage and same thing happened. Told it was gas cap(from dealer) light still came on.
scottw- saw your post and wondered what you found out on your situation?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
jayholt said:
Hi Guys,
I am new to the forum. Found the site after reading a window banner. Good job. Gotta get me one of those.
I have a 2001 Durango and the light came on as well. This is the second 2001 I've owned and both times the light came on. The first, I needed some kind of pressure switch for the gas tank.? Cost 150.00 from dealer. 2 days later light came on again. Dealer wanted 75.00 to recheck. Forget it.
Traded in that one for one with less mileage and same thing happened. Told it was gas cap(from dealer) light still came on.
scottw- saw your post and wondered what you found out on your situation?
welcome to the boards. did you get the same code?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't check the code myself. I had just bought the Durango 2 weeks before the light came on and they checked it for me. I now know to check the code myself. I have already learned alot from this site.

·
Registered
789 Posts
i do these all day long at my dealership. i probably check 3-4 evaporative emissions leaks a day. there is about 100 different things that will set that code. a gas cap is not one. a gas cap will set a large, or medium leak, not a small. a small leak generally is a cracked hose, near the evap canister, or the canister itself may be cracked.

i run a smoke machine through the evap system and look for the smoke coming out. then i repair it and rerun the test with a drbIII. its not gonna be easy to find a small leak without a smoke machine though!! Good luck.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
got_torque said:
i do these all day long at my dealership. i probably check 3-4 evaporative emissions leaks a day. there is about 100 different things that will set that code. a gas cap is not one. a gas cap will set a large, or medium leak, not a small. a small leak generally is a cracked hose, near the evap canister, or the canister itself may be cracked.

i run a smoke machine through the evap system and look for the smoke coming out. then i repair it and rerun the test with a drbIII. its not gonna be easy to find a small leak without a smoke machine though!! Good luck.
this code P0442 9 out of 10 times has been from people change'n out they're gas caps and replacing them with the lock type. Of course it not gonna fix everyones problem, but it's a start. It's either that or take your truck to the dealer and have them tighten your gas cap for $100 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
789 Posts
rockadaous said:
this code P0442 9 out of 10 times has been from people change'n out they're gas caps and replacing them with the lock type. Of course it not gonna fix everyones problem, but it's a start. It's either that or take your truck to the dealer and have them tighten your gas cap for $100 :rolleyes:
so i guess the service manuals, and all the ones that i have done have all been wrong...eh?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I can only talk about the ones we've fixed here.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
got_torque said:
so i guess the service manuals, and all the ones that i have done have all been wrong...eh?
so basically what your say'n is everyone with a code needs to run to the dealer and have the mechanic tell them whats wrong. I'm sorry but this is what the forum is about. to save money and stay out of the dealership. :nono:

·
CCHHRROOMMEE
96 Posts
Even the FSM can't decide what's small/med

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey fellas, man this site is awesome I'm glad I found it, so I just bought (like 3 days ago) a 2001 Durango SLT and today at lunch my MIL came on too, I have NOT check it yet, but this is what happened and may be related, when I bought the vehicle I checked it all out, one thing I didn't check was the gas cap, when I had it home I saw there was a nail in it, I was like WTF thats weird, I figured that maybe they wanted to hang it from that nail like so they don't lose it, btw it was a key style cap. Last night I went to Autozone and got a regular style gas cap, popped it on, took it around and then today I get that MIL light.

I haven't checked the code or anything and also it DID pass emissions with that nail cap, so I'm not sure whats going on, did it get used to the nailed cap? did putting a new one mess something up? Maybe the engine is damaged from that old cap usage? I am still within my grace period to take the vehicle back if I need it. I'm going to find out what that code is after work and Ill post what is is but I'm thinking this has something to do with it.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK I'm gonna check them myself then take it to the dealership where I bought it because they want to test it as well, that way I can actually know whether or not they are telling me the truth about whatever might be wrong.

Thanks, Ill post codes right when I get home. you guys rock!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts