Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to dodge when MIL light stayed on and they basically told me I need a tune up! The codes were a misfire in #4 and #7 cylinders! They wanted to much money to do it so I did on my own and the erased the codes. The MIL light stayed off for a week but it started flashing lastnight! If anyone has any ideas let me know please!

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I know on GM's if the MIL is flashing that means that Cat damage is happening, i think dodge is the sameway, i would not be driving it, get it to the dealership ASAP

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
mike01RT said:
Went to dodge when MIL light stayed on and they basically told me I need a tune up! The codes were a misfire in #4 and #7 cylinders! They wanted to much money to do it so I did on my own and the erased the codes. The MIL light stayed off for a week but it started flashing lastnight! If anyone has any ideas let me know please!
What did you do when you performed your tune-up? Did you replace the cap, rotor, spark plugs, and spark plug wires? Are you sure you gapped the plugs right?

Try to make sure your spark plug wires aren't touching if possible, and make sure they're not resting against anything hot like the exhaust manifolds or heat shields.

I'd recommend double-checking your spark plug wire order, although you'd probably notice the offset a lot quicker than a week later.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks sincity RT!! well i did replace the plugs,cap,rotor and wires and i double checked the wire order! i am possitive the gap is right on the plugs! do you think if there was a small bend in the flywheel cover that the crankshaft position sensor is picking it up would that cause the misfire codes? i had to change the timeing case seal and when removing the pulley a friend took a screw driver and wedged it in one of the square whole to keep the engine from turning so we can loosen the bolt. when doing so it bent the square whole a little bit could that be my problem?

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
mike01RT said:
thanks sincity RT!! well i did replace the plugs,cap,rotor and wires and i double checked the wire order! i am possitive the gap is right on the plugs! do you think if there was a small bend in the flywheel cover that the crankshaft position sensor is picking it up would that cause the misfire codes? i had to change the timeing case seal and when removing the pulley a friend took a screw driver and wedged it in one of the square whole to keep the engine from turning so we can loosen the bolt. when doing so it bent the square whole a little bit could that be my problem?
Did the misfire code appear before or after the tune-up?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
before and after tune up befor it had a misfire in #1 #4 #5 #7 after tune up it was just #4 and #7

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
MiniMotoRider said:
I know on GM's if the MIL is flashing that means that Cat damage is happening, i think dodge is the sameway, i would not be driving it, get it to the dealership ASAP

The MIL indicates there is a code tripped in the OBDII system. There are a many, many items monitored. It does not mean the cats are being damaged.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Well if the MIL is flashing it sure does. If it stays on that could mean alot of diffrent things. The flashing MIL is part of the OBDII system that lets you know if there is cat damage about to happen. If it just stays on that that means one of the sensors is reading something that it should not. trust me i know what I'm talking about, i do this for a living.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts