Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a SAS to a Dakota for a customer. Using a D44 from a full-size Bronco, radius arms and ZJ coils. He is keeping stock rear axle because of the speed sensor and using spacer/adapters to change to the 5 on 5.5 lug to match the front pattern and width.

Locating axle and plating frame:

While the axle is apart, put new u-joints, bearings, brakes, calipers, rotors and ball joints.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rolled it outside to get some pics at ride height:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back on the lift, installed the new shocks and factory Ford locking hubs. Tomorrow I am building some rock sliders and installing a set of add-a-leaves in the rear to raise the rear a little more and stiffen up the rear spring packs.

Don't worry, this picture shows with the shocks extended out, there is plenty of shock travel when it is sitting on its own weight.

·
Registered
609 Posts
nice job.The 05 sterling rear has a tone ring in it with the sensor in the same location as ours.Just throwing it out there

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice job.The 05 sterling rear has a tone ring in it with the sensor in the same location as ours.Just throwing it out there
He is just looking for cheap for right now. Might end up doing this swap if he blows up the factory rear.

Ion guy i see lol, both sets were ions. What happened to the old set? Tire shop busted up the face on one of mine and i still need a replacement.
He traded them and $50 for the new wheels on it now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the sliders made today, he wanted them wider and lower than I would normally do them, but they still turned out good.

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
Getting some extensions for those factory radius arms is cheap and will help flex A LOT. Sounds like a budget version of the SAS I did to my 99.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He will probably end up doing something for a rear end, once he distroys the factory one, but he doesn't do any offroading except for sitting in the bed of the truck drinking beer while watching everyone else in the mud pits.:mullet:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
That turned out to be pretty sweet. I like the flat black with the wheels way out there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is awesome! couldnt have been posted at a better time...im doing this same exact build detail for detail and part for part...just decided id save the money and wheel my stock rear till it gives out... is there any way you could estimate about how much it was for the front only swap? by the way you do great work man...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you use stock ZJ coils or lift coils ? If lift coils what size ? How well do they support the weight of the dakota ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am pretty sure they are stock coils. They were pulled from one that I lifted a few years back and have been collecting dust on the shelf. They support the truck pretty wel, but you do need a sway at to handle bodyroll to make it a DD.

The owner went with lift blocks in the rear to keep budget down (although I tried to talk him out of them). The blocks already had a couple degrees cast into them to take care of the rear pinion angle.

I think he had close to $5k In everything including axle, parts, wheels, tires and labor. Keep in mind the tires are well used so they were pretty cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts