Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Durango 4x4 4.7L
9.25 rear differential with anti spin (lsd)

I was changing the sensor in the rear differential and the sensor had some sludge on it so I decided to change the fluid. Fluid had some metal dust in it and there were a few pieces of metal laying in the bottom. The metal pieces looked like clips for the passenger side clutch which are missing. All of the gears appear to have no damage.

My question is how important are the clips and how hard is it to replace them?
Automotive tire Wheel Gear Bumper Bicycle part
Shoe Automotive tire Personal protective equipment Automotive wheel system Automotive lighting

·
Registered
757 Posts
It's not uncommon to find "metal dust" in the diff oil. Limited Slip differentials have clutch packs that over time will wear and leave material in the oil. What is of concern is the pieces of metal you found at the bottom of the housing. By the photo, it looks like an ear off of one of the clutch pack plates has broken off. The diff will still work but I suspect the LS isn't functioning to it's fullest potential. Limited Slips can be rebuilt and new clutch packs installed, but if you don't know how to "set-up" gears, you could destroy the gears in less than a hundred miles. Take the truck to a mechanic familiar with setting up gears and pay whatever they ask. It's not a job for a novice.
One more thing, if you decide to change the gear oil, in the future, LS diffs require a friction modifier added to the oil. Without it, the diff will chatter and make strange noises as you drive.

Ed

·
Registered
145 Posts
One more thing, if you decide to change the gear oil, in the future, LS diffs require a friction modifier added to the oil. Without it, the diff will chatter and make strange noises as you drive.

Ed
Don't most good synthetic differential oils have the friction modifier already built in?

·
Registered
757 Posts
No. most cars and light trucks do not come with a limited slip differential, so they do not need a friction modifier. Those that have a LS need the friction modifier separate from the oil so as to adjust the amount you need, not all LS units are the same and require different amounts of friction modifier added

Ed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I refilled with Royal Purple and 4oz of the friction modifier. The Royal Purple is supposed to already have a friction modifier but I would rather be safe.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
104 Posts
The Mobil 1 gear oil I put in my diff was also supposed to have LSD additive already in it, but I added a bottle of Mopar friction modifier just to be safe. It sure won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Mobil 1 gear oil I put in my diff was also supposed to have LSD additive already in it, but I added a bottle of Mopar friction modifier just to be safe. It sure won't hurt anything.
Yeah, that's what I use on my two LSD pickups. That's the reason I asked. However, the last time I changed rear diff oil in both of those two, I also added friction modifier, although I hadn't in the past. My GMC went many many miles with just whatever Mobil One puts in their synthetic gear oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2000 Durango 4x4 4.7L

I was changing the sensor in the rear differential and the sensor had some sludge on it so I decided to change the fluid. Fluid had some metal dust in it and there were a few pieces of metal laying in the bottom. The metal pieces looked like clips for the passenger side clutch which are missing. All of the gears appear to have no damage.

My question is how important are the clips and how hard is it to replace them? View attachment 111217 View attachment 111218
2000 Durango 4x4 4.7L

My question is how important are the clips and how hard is it to replace them? View attachment 111217 View attachment 111218
I have a 1998 Durango 5.2L (42,000 original miles) with a full-time 4WD option and a limited-slip differential. I recently changed the differential oil with oil specified for slip differential. The oil alone is not enough. Without the additive, the transfer case can become locked in 4WD (H, L, or full time); when switched to 2H, the front differential is still engaged to the transfer case. After adding the additive to the rear differential, the transfer case disengages the front axle without problems. I guess that the lack of slip does not release the buildup tension between components. The additive is required for the limited-slip differential and to reduce wear on the transfer case. Genuine Mopar Fluid 4318060AC Limited Slip Additive - 4 oz. Bottle available on Amazon

·
Registered
37 Posts
In your pictures your pinion gears appear to have scaring or excessive wear in them. The ring gear also appears to have wear.
Is this just the over size of the pictures or are the edges of the teeth rough? The metal pieces in the diff. just from the clip or
from excessive where? I agree with RXT that truck will drive, and the limited slip may not work well, if at all. I have also seen
where the clutch pack can wear badly enough to shred the material and burn the plates bad enough to cause total diff. failure..
Having worked for Dodge for over 30 years, I've rebuilt a number of these diff's for this type of failure.
My advice is to bite the bullet and do it right.
Good Luck, daddyododge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts