Dakota Durango Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don’t really know why you’re planning on rebuilding the whole shebang. From what I’ve gathered reading this thread, it’s just a head gasket. Take the head off, get it machined, put it back together with new gaskets. Rebuild the timing while your at it and it’ll cost (very roughly) $500 or so.

I hate to dash your hopes of rebuilding engines, but it’s gonna take more then that. For it to really work you’d have to be extremely familiar with more engines then just one, and even if you could succeed specializing with just one, you’d have to have experience with more then one scenario. Could you succeed doing something roughly along those lines? Yes, but it would take more like years of experience working on multiple 4.7s, if not multiple different types of engines.

I appreciate your words of wisdom!! Okay. I didn't know it'd be THAT cheap! With that said. How would I go about in recovering the refrigerant? So that it gives me more room to remove just the heads to send out to the shop?

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
260 Posts
I appreciate your words of wisdom!! Okay. I didn't know it'd be THAT cheap! With that said. How would I go about in recovering the refrigerant? So that it gives me more room to remove just the heads to send out to the shop?
You don’t need to remove the refrigerant at all. Did you watch the video series I linked to on the Dakota Forumz? I even did more then that, I took out the radiator and you still don’t need to take out the refrigerant. Just tie up the AC compressor out of the way without unhooking the lines. For the condenser, take off the bumper, unbolt the condenser from the rad, disconnect the rad hoses and take out the rad. Then tie up the condenser as close as possible to its original position so as to not stress the lines. Gives you an extra 3 or more inches and gets the bumper out of the way. The main reason I did it was to fit a pnuematic impact in, so I could remove the harmonic balancer bolt.

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
260 Posts
Get the parts from Rockauto.com. You’ll want an engine gasket set and a timing set which is probably less then $300 depending on what level of timing rebuild you wanna do, and then it’s whatever the machine shop charges ya. So maybe my estimate was low

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You don’t need to remove the refrigerant at all. Did you watch the video series I linked to on the Dakota Forumz? I even did more then that, I took out the radiator and you still don’t need to take out the refrigerant. Just tie up the AC compressor out of the way without unhooking the lines. For the condenser, take off the bumper, unbolt the condenser from the rad, disconnect the rad hoses and take out the rad. Then tie up the condenser as close as possible to its original position so as to not stress the lines. Gives you an extra 3 or more inches and gets the bumper out of the way. The main reason I did it was to fit a pnuematic impact in, so I could remove the harmonic balancer bolt.
Sorry brother. I am a very very busy person I forgot about your video and will take a look at it after my class ends**

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
260 Posts
Sorry brother. I am a very very busy person I forgot about your video and will take a look at it after my class ends**
No problem. A little confusing trying to keep track of info between the two forums here, I fear I may have given you some miso formation on the Dakota forumz because of that

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,228 Posts
Did I miss what engine this is?
If it is the 3.9/5.2/5.9 install new valve guide seals, with the heads on the engine. You have good compression (from what I read) that rules out bad valve job, bad head gaskets, or bad rings and saves you $2700

Reactions: Aaron'sLifeJourney

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Did I miss what engine this is?
If it is the 3.9/5.2/5.9 install new valve guide seals, with the heads on the engine. You have good compression (from what I read) that rules out bad valve job, bad head gaskets, or bad rings and saves you $2700
Wow this makes me very hopeful brother. I applied for a new credit card. So once I get that in I will send my truck to another shop for a second opinion and whatever they say I will give them my credit card so that the issue can be resolved. I want to use the truck to make me money. If you have any advice on that; itd be just as much appreciated because I don't make much money in my career

21 - 28 of 28 Posts