Dakota Durango Forum banner

Marine cigarette plug voltmeter / usb charger?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  radioactive 
#1 ·
Out in a friends boat over the weekend and notice a neat idea on his dash. He has a cigarette plug voltmeter / 3.0 USB dual charge port. Has anyone one else looked into trying this or is in a dead end. It bugs me to no end not to have an oil pressure gauge or voltmeter on my Dakota. I don't like the idea of adding gauges under the dash or on top of it, this seemed like a neat idea with little effort to do. This would solve one item at least, without putting extra holes in the dash my truck is a 2011 4x4 4.7 Big Horn,

#2 ·
How does a cig lighter USB port add gauges?

#3 ·
This is what I've got in mind, I'll have to enlarge the lighter hole for it to fit. There's also a lighter direct plug in with the same functions for BMW motorcycles. That one I just ran across and need to fitment as its a DIN. The marine one I'm looking at is much cheaper than the BMW,

Attachments

#5 ·
Ah, adding a voltmeter I see, not an oil pressure gauge. You had me baffled.

My experience with these Chinese trinkets has not been good. Also be aware it draws 30ma even with the ignition off (if so wired) and that would present a problem if the car sits for a few weeks.

#4 ·
That's like the middle one I added to the passenger side dash trim on my 1988 Dakota.

Hrmm ... I don't have a current good picture. I have one of the first setup.

The voltmeter replaced the middle one.

I used this one from Amazon.

RwP

EDIT. I can't count.

#6 ·
This is the type i use. I've had it for a few years plugged in to the full time power outlet with no issues. I have my dash cam hooked up to it. I like that it has the buttons to turn on/off the sockets.

#7 ·
Have you considered adding A pillar gauges? Instead of these gimmicky devices....

#9 ·
I'd be tempted to go to the boneyard and pull a couple pillar covers. With a little ingenuity and fiberglass resin, or maybe a 3D printer, you might build up a decent pillar pod for a couple gauges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.