Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have always wheeled solid front axle trucks. ( had 3 grand Cherokees) and the Ifs makes me really scared off road. Always worried about ball joints popping or something.

A hone have any ideas or parts to buy to beef it up?

Any stories about you beating up on it off road and it living?

Pics and or video would be great!

Thanks guys!

·
I'm on a mission from God
19,832 Posts
well i can tell you that i have the tuff country lift on my durango. its a 5.5 lift that bolts right up to the ifs. i have not changed or "beefed" up anything that didnt come with the kit. so far, i have wheeled it a bunch and replaced tie rods a few years ago(just tired or damaged from off roading...who knows) anyways check out the link in the sig plenty of pics. imo ifs works just fine just not as much ground clearance.

ps. if i had the money, time, and skill i would do a sas. just saying:drive:

·
No Boost? Why Drive?
1,766 Posts
The best thing to help any front axle survive is to put a locker in the rear, making the rear axle do most of the work.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the input guys!

The locker options are very limited for the 9 1/4.
I couldn't get a Detroit locker due to I carpool and backing up a trailer with that locker is a nightmare.

The only other option which I do have is the truetrac. Not a locker but better then nothing!

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Thanks so much for the input guys!

The locker options are very limited for the 9 1/4.
I couldn't get a Detroit locker due to I carpool and backing up a trailer with that locker is a nightmare.

The only other option which I do have is the truetrac. Not a locker but better then nothing!
What's that got to do with anything? The only time I have to baby mine with the Detroit Locker is if I'm turning tight in someones yard or gravel driveway...I just don't want to tear it up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because when my buddy backs up his Detroit lockerd truck and has to turn tight when backing up a trailer he starts to chirp tires and bind up. That jurks the trailer around. Saw that once a while back and decided on a tru trac. Can't wait to maybe get a selectable!

·
Registered
413 Posts
my ifs has been through some shit, its a tough setup as long as youre not stupid. its not made out of porcelain its not delicate, most people break things because they ram things as fast as possible, just know your limits, pick a good line and be a competent driver and youll be fine. remember that solid axles have ball joints and tie rod ends too.

Reactions: Neil H

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I haven't wheeled my Dakota quite yet, but I used to Wheel my Explorer with IFS. Never had any issues or breakage and it stood up just as well as the solid axle guys on the trail.

Just like 2004DAK Said, just know your limits, pick a good line and be a competent driver.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If everyone always used "search" there would be no new posts.

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
I had the lock rite in my 02, only time it was ever a pain in the ass was tight turns in parking lots or on pavement. Driveline windup was kind of bitch sometimes too, so clutch work and throwin it in neutral at the right time was a must.

As for wheeling it, are you planning on runnin 37's on it and doin a hemi swap? If not, just don't be a lead footed idiot off road and your front end will be fine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Having your front wheels spinning then suddenly grabbing traction will most likely be the end of a front diff.

This topic was just started a week or so ago. You should try the search function next time.
Plus I'm aware of the diff strength. I did search that. I was more asking about the suspension. I.e. Ball joints, control arm etc. That's why I said Ifs in the title! :nana:

Thanks for the post guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well i can tell you that i have the tuff country lift on my durango. its a 5.5 lift that bolts right up to the ifs. i have not changed or "beefed" up anything that didnt come with the kit. so far, i have wheeled it a bunch and replaced tie rods a few years ago(just tired or damaged from off roading...who knows) anyways check out the link in the sig plenty of pics. imo ifs works just fine just not as much ground clearance.

ps. if i had the money, time, and skill i would do a sas. just saying:drive:
Yup this is my route too with 33" Dura Trac 12.5 x 15 I talked to Aaron at Ground Force Performance in Abbotsford, B.C. No anticipated issues unless my twin turbo 5.9 with Tremec 6 spd manual makes a weak link between there and the rubber eh

·
Registered
3 Posts
What's that got to do with anything? The only time I have to baby mine with the Detroit Locker is if I'm turning tight in someones yard or gravel driveway...I just don't want to tear it up.
am wondering about ARB Air lockers??? best of both worlds?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts