Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if someone maybe has seen something on this or maybe done it themselves. But if u can make ur own Sub Boxes and what not, how hard could it be to make ur own fiberglass tonneau? Couldnt u just make the frame from some kind of rods or what not, stretch some fleece or whatever people are using, and lay it with fiberglass. Just a thought. If it was possible, probably be a lot cheaper than paying 400-900 dollars for one, AND it would be custom... :biggthump

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I like this idea. I wanted to install a flush tonneau, but I also have plan on a black (of course) bed box. I can't have both, and between the two, I'll pick the box.

If you designed the tonneau mounting system and can fab it from plywood or something, then you have a stiff flat base to lay your glass sheets. I like the idea, it would work.

I am not sure about how strong the glass would be over a large space like that, but you could use 1/4" plywood as a base for strength. Come to think of it, though, 4-5 layers can hold a grown man, and a lot of tonneau's are fierglass. I guess if it's thick enough, you could do it without any other support.

My only concern would be the finish. Sanding something that large to be smooth would be extremely difficult to put it mildly!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.