Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 98dakota needs some tlc and I need some help. It is idling rough so I thought I would clean my IAC solenoid to see if that would fix the problem. The thing is I don't want to dive in blind and mess anything up. So if anyone has directions on how to take off and clean an IAC solenoid I would be gratefull if you would e-mail them to me. Same thing goes with how to clean a throttle body. Thanks

·
It's not my fault!
555 Posts
Real simple. Take off the airhat. Disconnect the electrical connections to the various sensors. Disconnect any vacuum lines. Disconnect the throttle linkage from the TB and remove the screws holding the throttle bracket to the TB. Remove the 4 bolts on the top that secure the TB to the manifold. Once the TB is off the truck, remove the sensors. All are secured with torx head screws. I cleaned my IAC with some carb cleaner. Worked fine for me. Also used it to thoroughly clean the TB. Used a small nylon brosh to work into some places that the solution was not breaking down the gunk. Once finished I put the sensors back in place and put everything back together.

While the TB is off, take a good look at the inside of your intake. Make sure you do not have a blown intake gasket. It will gunk up an IAC pretty easily if it is sucking a lot of oil.

·
Registered
81 Posts
318dak4me said:
The 98dakota needs some tlc and I need some help. It is idling rough so I thought I would clean my IAC solenoid to see if that would fix the problem. The thing is I don't want to dive in blind and mess anything up. So if anyone has directions on how to take off and clean an IAC solenoid I would be gratefull if you would e-mail them to me. Same thing goes with how to clean a throttle body. Thanks

This may sound strange, and trust me when I first heard it a few years ago I said to myself, "this guy has bumped his head really hard to come up with this."

Check your battery. Take it to an autozone or something and have it tested. For some odd reason, mainly due to all the electrical components, if the battery voltage is really low the truck will idle rough, hesitate, and all other things that make you think you have a tune-up issue.

That is something else I would check.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You can just remove the IAC without removing the TB. Be careful when taking the IAC out because it will not remove easily and if your not careful you will break it. There is an o-ring on the stem of the IAC do not lose it! I would purchase the o-ring first before removing the IAC just in case.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
man your in luck. I did it at work last night. real easy. remove your airhat. 2 torx screws hold it in. I just swapped mine out. as you can see it was in bad shape. my truck would stall out when i coasted to a stop (anything below 600rpm's) here's some pics. as you can tell. mine is all nasty and sticks out further than the new one. it was stuck in that position. hence bad idle'n. make sure the old O ring comes off and make sure it doesn't measure more than 1 1/8" from base to tip of valve. reset your PCM after your done and drive above 40 mph to reset the idle. hit me up if you have anymore questions

rock

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting ready to change my IAC and thermostat. Not a good week. Thanks for the help. I hope this fixes my problem.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
good luck. let us know if we can help and how it turns out. don't forget to reset your PCM after the IAC valve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts