Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok soo i need to do some maintenance stuff and a little modding together, soo i want to replace the spark plugs, what are some good spark plugs like platnum ? And also whats the gap on them for the 5.2 ? i want to get some after market sparkplug wires also, the biggest i have seen soo far is 8mm i had 10.3mm wires on my gtp. i want to get a 180 degree thermostat, will i have to have a coustomer pcm for that, soo i dont screw anything up? i want to put a new fuel filter on, stock would be fine i suppose. and for intake i'm thinking maybe the k&n system but its like 280 bucks, any other path to go for cheaper intakes but work fine? No i dont want to build my own out of pvc just dont want too. also anything else for ignition for performance ? When i get some more money i would like to get a superchips but i'm gonna keep it on the 87 octance setting, i dont feel like paying for super right now, plus here in maine the highest octane at the pump is 91, last year it use to be 93. I'm also thinking of changing out the tranny fluid and putting a new filter in, idk if that's safe or not since it has 179k, i heard of flushing the tranny isnt safe many times, because it loosens up gunk or whatnot that holds parts together.

·
I hate you people.
2,831 Posts
:noob: Try :search: next time on mods like this.
Now, for spark plugs, it is up to you and what you will be willing to pay(Pulsestar pulse plugs are $25/plug, IDK if they are worth it on these engines). For a regular traditional plug, I suggest the Autolite Double Platinums with the 5.2, I put these in my 300K+ miles 5.2 and I felt a huge difference. For a new design, the e3 DiamondFires are the best you can get. I have these in my 03 4.7 but I have not been able to do a highway test yet but I can say I never got worse than 14 mpg in 40/60% city/highway driving.
Dude, do a little research. MSD makes 8.5mm spark plug wires for these engines, well worth the money and can be ordered from just about anyone. They are called the SuperConductors is what I ran on my old 5.2.
K&N intake, no problems with that, do a little shopping around. I bought my 4.7 K&N intake locally because they $28 cheaper than any other place and online, plus I didn't have to pay shipping then.:woot: Try and find a race shop that also sells street performance parts as well.
Superchips is good for now but, if you get the serious power bug later, then SCT is your better option.
A regular fluid and filter change on a high miles trans will not cause issues, it's the flushes that do that. Get an OEM or one of the major filter names like from Mobil 1 or K&N and if you have the money for it, go for the Royal Purple Max ATF MultiSpec. It is a night and day difference in terms of driveability and fuel economy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Soo i'm thinking about doing the tranny fluid and filter change, and i really want to use the Royal Purple Max ATF MultiSpec, and prob a k&n filter. now how many quarts will i need ? do i worry about draining the remaining fluid out of the torque convert or do i but cheap atf in then drive it for a week then drain it and then put the royal purple in?? Or do i just drain what i have now and then put in the royal purple ?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think that would be on par with flushing it...

The idea of just draining it is to leave some of the old fluid in so it alters the friction of the new fluid closer to what it was used to.

however, mine has 160k mi on it and it has been through hell: blew a line and drained itself on the way home; a long term seal issue that I fixed but it was driven low many times; I even had to drain it several times with only a few thousand miles between because of leaking pan gasket issues. Still going strong

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ohh ok, i just want to fix the sluggish shifting and the annoying shifting up and down, also she doesnt like to shift into od when shes cold.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i would defently get a tranny shop to do that for me, just cause i never adjusted a band before, i didnt even realize you needed to adjust the band when doing a fluid/filter change.

·
Registered
540 Posts
On the topic of band adjustment, I recently changed my tranny fluid/filter and forgot to adjust the bands. Now im only having a problem when shifting into 2nd or 3rd. Is that band on the outside of the tranny on a 2000 3.9 V6?? What tranny does it have??

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
what do good aftermarket plug wires like taylor 8mm run for ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^the msd super conductor 8.5mm are 75 bucks. Now what i'm gonna do after i fix my little issue with my durango, is the tranny fluid/filter change with royal purple, the fpik k&n intake system, the msd 8.5mm wires and the platinum plugs maybe the e3's, that should give it a few more pony's.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
I ran platnum 4's for about 2 months. They where as white as an old fart at a VA reunion. They simply run too hot!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah their is always a catch when using perfromance parts they dont last as long, or atleast thats the case with plugs/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts