Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 02 r/t CC. I want to change the exhaust soon to get more power and if i had the cash would do a GSM true dual setup but think im going to be saving up for this for a long time so i think im going to just do a cat back for now. I like magnaflow alot and had a highflow cat and single in single out muffler from them on my 5.2 ram and loved it, i did gain a little power out of the deal but wanted to know if i would get anymore power on my r/t by going to a single in dual out exhaust? I dont want to lose any power at the low end and i dont know how i possibly could with a 5.9 ltr engine begging to get exhaust out. I just dont know if i would get better power out of single to dual or single to single exit. Any opinions would be great.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ok i'll take a wild stab in the dark here, but i'm going to say you'll get a better result with single in single out versus single in/dual out. My reason is with a dual outlet and a single inlet, you're splitting that air flow and therefore it seems that in the transition inside the muffler, the velocity of the air would slow slightly compared to the single in/out which maintains a constant v. Therefore, i'd say the single in/out is the better way if you're going for performance. Just one man's opinion though haha, I personally have a single in/out magnaflow xl and couldn't be happier. Good luck! :banana2:

·
That Guy
23,438 Posts
Well if thats true than that sucks for me because I just ordered a single in dual out magnaflow for my 3.9. I never thought that getting the exhaust out too quick would make it loose power. I always thought that the quicker it gets out the more power there is. Hmmm... dont know what im gonna do now I just hope that it at least sounds ok. Its only 2.5 in and 2.25 out which isnt all that great but its only a V6. I guess ill just have to get smarter before I buy an R/T.

·
Registered
388 Posts
no no, I said that I think the dual outlet might slow down the exhaust gas flow not speed it up. The faster the exhaust gas can be removed the more efficient the system will be as a whole. However, all being said, although I feel there must be a slight difference, it's just that, a slight, probably negligible difference for the hp most of us are putting through the exhaust. So, I honestly wouldn't worry one bit, I'm sure the engineers at magnaflow did their homework and found that the difference is really not a big deal for most of us in normal applications.

However, a true dual setup, like the gsm system is highly efficient, and more noticeable with increased horsepower. I just think about it like this: if you have a tank of water two separate drain pipes would get the water out more efficiently than a single pipe. Yet that same single continous pipe should be more efficient in flow compared to a single pipe that at the end splits into two pipes. The reason being that when the fluid hits that split section it would slow down and not be a perfect 50/50 split of water down the drain pipes. So you might have 60% of the flow fighting to get into the left pipe, while 40% flows easily down the right so there's inefficiency right there. Exhaust gas, like water, is a fluid so it behaves the same way. If I am wrong, someone please correct me...it's been over a year since i've seen fluid mechanics haha :sorry:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input... i think im going to go with the single in single out with high flow cat and three inch tubing like i had on my ram. This setup seemed to work and sound nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts