Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive asked about this before and it was very minor at the time but now its actually a pretty big issue.

Being low on funds I want to hopefully test/find out what it is without just replacing everything. The problem is, when the vehicle starts and I drive anywhere and get to about 40mph the vehicle shifts and then the RPMs are about 1.2 and im doing about 50mph and the vehicle starts to lug/sound gross like a standard. Sometimes, and I mean sometimes when coming to a faster stop it will downshift and sometimes it feels like it may lug/shutter when I get close to stopping.

The truck is a 2000 dodge dakota 2wd automatic. No other gear does this, and turning overdrive off will downshift of course and the truck drives fine. When I idle the indicator is really solid and doesnt move.

Things I plan to test/check and assume may be the cause: MAP/IAC/air intake and maybe checking my O2 sensors? Ill also re-check my gas line psi as well.

It does not throw any PCodes either. So ill update this as I check things off in the next day, but I cant figure this one out and could use some ideas here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine is a 3.9l.

Last night I cleaned the whole throttle body, the IAC sensor was about 4mm covered in black stuff (truck is 12 years old and ive only had it the last 3), and the whole underneath was just coated. I cleaned it all up and then drove it, and I can say that 90% of the problem is completely gone.

It has about a 1.4 rpm @ 50mph and it just idles so solid and runs so much better. I dont consider this fixed yet but I must say that most of this has to do with the sensors for sure. I will be getting a obd diagnostics which will check all sensors and I bet this completely from the result of dirty sensors/and or old MAP/TPS/IAC sensors that need replacing. In the next few days ill be able to test those and see which one needs replacing and report back. For now though, the truck is handling so much better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts